UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2008, 1:46 pm   #1
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default DM70 valve?

I just found this valve in a bag of general junk valves. I tried the fridge/breathe method of revealing the number but that just resulted in the last of the black lettering falling away!

I've no idea what it really is, the closest looking I could find on the National Valve Museum was DM70.

Are these particularly rare/special/expensive? I'm considering putting it in a project but wouldn't want to break something "special" (If they're cheap I'd like a few to make up a display)

Dom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9011024-s.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	19602   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9011025-s.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	19603  
Old 1st Sep 2008, 3:21 pm   #2
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: DM70 valve?

Hi Dom,

It certainly looks like a DM70, or more likely a DM71 which is basically a DM70 with short leads. I have a few sets which use DM70's and DM71's as tuning indicators and they too have the same 'exclamation mark' type display like your valve. If it does prove to be a DM70/71 then they are not particularly rare or expensive. I recently purchased a couple of NOS DM70's from the USA for around £9 the pair including delivery.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 1st Sep 2008, 4:27 pm   #3
dominicbeesley
Octode

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll not feel too guilty about making something pretty from it then!

Dom
Old 1st Sep 2008, 4:36 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes...odd little things really. There are some Ekco sets that use them I think and the Every Ready Sky Emporer. I also had an old Philips tape recorder (EL3527) that used it.

Rich.
Old 1st Sep 2008, 5:08 pm   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Some of the Far Eastern mains valve radios like Unitra used them as well. The display was not very easy to show whan you were "tuned in".
Old 1st Sep 2008, 5:49 pm   #6
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

They were also used as transmitter tuning indicators on some military "portable" transmitters.

Jim.
Old 1st Sep 2008, 6:30 pm   #7
kalee20
Dekatron

I've seen one used as a balance indicator on a small battery-operated Nombrex CR bridge. And I think that they were used as tuning indicators on at least one Eddystone communications receiver.
Old 1st Sep 2008, 6:34 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

If it eventually turns out to be surplus to requirements, I have a slightly tatty Ekco U243 which has a DM70 with virtually no emission. But I suppose yours may be no better, as they did have a bit of a reputation for early failure.

Nick.
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 4:12 pm   #9
dominicbeesley
Octode

Poked it into the AVO last night and it lights up surprisingly well with an 85V anode voltage. The pattern is a very thin exclamation mark, not bulbous like the cutout would suggest.

Nick if you want it I'll swap it for a bog-standard tuning indicator. I'd like one for a rough and ready S-meter on my homebrew amateur receiver, if you're not bothered though this little valve would do perfectly!

Dom
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 4:18 pm   #10
paulsherwin

DM70s were designed as battery valves, but were used quite widely as tuning indicators in small mains FM sets. Their heater voltage is derived from the O/P valve cathode, and when That Capacitor starts to leak, the voltage goes through the roof and wrecks the valve.

Paul
Closed Thread