UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2020, 12:21 am   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default EM34 in Heathkit C3–U goes out after bridge warm–up?

Hi!

Just a quick one!

I have a Heathkit C3–U in reasonable cosmetic condition with the red/black scale markings, which I believe was the later style used in British Heathkit front–panels, and altho' it's EM34 balance indicator is visible at switch–on, it very soon fades out completely to become completely dark!

Was the EM34 known to have a failure–mode like this or am I looking at a straightforward case of h.t. rectifier/cap failure or overload of the mains–transformer? – which would, of course, be addressed & rectified (!) when the time comes to rebuild the bridge!

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 7th Mar 2020 at 12:26 am.
Old 7th Mar 2020, 12:34 am   #2
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: EM34 in Heathkit C3–U goes out after bridge warm–up?

I would be looking at the power supply, especially any high value resistors that might also be heating up with the bridge.

Joe
Old 7th Mar 2020, 1:13 am   #3
Techman
Dekatron

I don't think this is a known EM34 fault, so I would be looking elsewhere, such as voltages disappearing etc. Of course it's possible that the EM34 has developed a fault, but that would be quite rare - the normal fault with this 'eye' type is that they just lose brightness over a long time period of usage and carry on working, but with very dim light output that can only be seen in semi darkness. These 'eyes' are normally good in test equipment as they don't see the hours of continuous usage that they would get in a radio.
Old 7th Mar 2020, 6:13 pm   #4
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

The target–anode voltage (pin 5) of the EM34 is given as "+150V" on my circuit diagram but I have to confess I've not measured the actual voltage in this unit yet – I plan to use two silicon diodes in series with a 1k 3W resistor in the original rectifier tube to replace the old selenium elements!

Chris Williams