UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 27th May 2012, 11:38 pm   #881
Paul Adams
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: AVO Multimeter survey

Not too sure if this is classed as vintage, an AVO 8 Mk5.
Acquired today at a boot sale for £1.00, Serial: 51780 8V/1/75.

Paul.
Paul Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 5:24 pm   #882
Donkey1
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Chaps,

I've just acquired an Avo (I think - - it appears to be identical to the second photograph in post https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...&postcount=866

It's serial number on the bottom right of the display is '3074' - - though I've no idea of its date of manufacture.

It's tatty, with a badly cracked rear case - and has its 'American cloth' type semi rigid case.

I'll happily give it to a forum member if someone would like to either refurbish it, or use for spares.

It's available for collection from Sawley (just south of Nottingham) or I'll happily make it available for collection by courier (if the recipient arranges of course)

Hope this is of use to someone.

Dave
Donkey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2012, 9:52 pm   #883
injected
Retired Dormant Member

Glad to have stumbled across the forum. I have a Model 40 S/N 4001-B-450.
injected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 7:16 pm   #884
GrahamGM6MSS
Retired Dormant Member

Model 7 Mk II 72273-A-857 In great condition with case, accessories and booklet, tested against my Fluke 89 and still spot on after all these years.

EA113 4-329-373 Was working perfectly a couple of years ago and I intended to let the Model 7 go to a new home and keep this, but after some being left in poor storage conditions it no longer works - I'm hoping it can be resurected (then I will part with the model 7) as I could do with freeing up some space!
GrahamGM6MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jun 2012, 4:21 pm   #885
Paul Adams
Retired Dormant Member

Model 8 MkII, S/N: 109652-C-760.

Arrived as a kit of parts, see here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=85305

Paul.
Old 11th Aug 2012, 1:33 pm   #886
Paul Adams
Retired Dormant Member

Another to the collection, this time a model 40 Mk2, serial: 1540-B-363.F.
Picked up at a local boot sale, in quite good external condition with the original red seal on one of the screws, not working though

Paul.
Old 22nd Sep 2012, 8:41 am   #887
noble kiwi
Pentode

Model 40 Mk 2. Serial number 15377 -B -757. Not owned by me, but sighted.

Trevor.
noble kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2012, 8:28 pm   #888
pmmunro
Octode

Paul,

How did your "kit" assembly go? If you haven't found your own solution yet you could try gluing the front panel with either a good quality cyanoacrylate (Superglue) or traditional (not rapid) Araldite. It might be worthwhile to incorporate some reinforcing pins at the joints.

However, the best solution would be to find a replacement front panel, which I might possibly have. I think you have my email address if you need it.

PMM.
pmmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2012, 8:32 pm   #889
pmmunro
Octode

Dave,

Sorry not to have made some response to your posting back in June - my commitments are very demanding at present.

Could you post a picture of your meter which will help with its identification? With just a four figure serial number, it could be a DC Avometer, but these had aluminium back cases, which of course would not normally crack.

PMM.
Old 24th Sep 2012, 11:27 pm   #890
DaveH-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Wanting to calibrate an AVO VCM Mk3 I am refurbishing with its brother multimeter, I dug out my old service AVO 8 Mk3, S/No. 103074 C 260 - so I think that dates it as Feb 1960.

It still had the original leather case, manual, leads and probes. The leather case 'hinge' has worn through... so that needs a repair. I thought that the meter was O/C when I tested it as I had no meter movement on any settings after fitting two new batteries... however, this turned out to be a sticky 'reverse' switch and was soon cured with a bit of vigorous use and switch cleaner. All working now.

I also scored an AVO Minor 40 at a boot sale the other day, but that had very bad battery acid leakage inside from the batteries being left in I may be able to salvage it... but that's on the 'to do' list. I will try to get the serial number later.
DaveH-UK - G4NWP
DaveH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2012, 12:19 pm   #891
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

I still use my Avo from time to time, as I mainly work with vintage ignitions it comes in handy, I think its a model 9 inside and a model 8 on the outside.
keithinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2012, 2:53 pm   #892
DaveH-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Ok, I extracted the AVO Model 40 MkII (I stated in my previous post that it was a minor... but it is not) from it's plastic storage bag (it has been contaminated with battery acid leakage); the S/No. is 17411 - B-359 (March 1959). On the back of the meter scale is a hand written 28/2/62 and signed by what looks like 'Les'. There is also an E followed by the date 6/3/61... again hand written. I don't know what to make of all those dates... but I feel an anorak coming on, so I won't worry about it

As I stated above this AVO looks in quite good condition but has been contaminated with battery acid... I will start another thread later to see if anyone has any ideas on how to decomtaminate it so I can get it up and running againg. If you touch this AVO you end up itching as the acid attacks you... a man eating AVO LOL
DaveH-UK G4NWP
DaveH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2012, 10:36 pm   #893
pmmunro
Octode

Dave,

The dates on the back of your meter's scaleplate will be repair dates, often with the repairer's initials. Watch repairers often mark their work on the inside of the back in a similar manner.

Keith,

Tell us more about your meter - a Model 8 is scaled with a 1-2.5-10 sequence and a Model 9 has a 1-3-10 relationship so I don't understand how the inside of one could match the outside of the other.

PMM
Old 28th Sep 2012, 4:04 pm   #894
Paul Adams
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmunro View Post
Paul,

How did your "kit" assembly go? If you haven't found your own solution yet you could try gluing the front panel with either a good quality cyanoacrylate (Superglue) or traditional (not rapid) Araldite. It might be worthwhile to incorporate some reinforcing pins at the joints.

However, the best solution would be to find a replacement front panel, which I might possibly have. I think you have my email address if you need it.

PMM.

PMM,

I tried using Araldite and made a bit of a ‘Pigs ear’ out of it, as when it had set it had moved from the original position that I had left it in, and I tried to break the repair but only succeeded in breaking the bakelite somewhere else.

I have now reverted to using some Superglue with some spray activator which has done the trick, the meter in question has been lost amongst the collection of other AVO’s.

I did say that I wasn’t going to buy anymore, but I was forced by my brain into getting these two: 49278-1066 (8mk3) and 97447-C-1059 (8mk2).

I have been busy redoing the lettering on most of them, and have been looking for a source of ‘crackle’ paint for the more earlier aluminium rear cases, where the paint has flaked off, would THIS be suitable?

I know that you did recommend some before, but I cannot find the tread on it now.

Paul.
Old 28th Sep 2012, 8:28 pm   #895
pmmunro
Octode

Well done Paul - it's really terrible when the brain rules the head! You'll find that you have to keep telling yourself that you can't personally save every Avometer! When you find yourself just having to put in a bid on eBay for that seemingly unloved meter just in case the seller throws it in skip because there were no bids, you truly care about Avometers.

I have used the VHT wrinkle paint successfully on Avometer cases - it doesn't seem to need a primer as long as the metal is well degreased. The ambient temperature (22 deg. C minimum) is important and the paint is not too pleasant smelling when wet, a bit like slightly rancid deep frying. Unfortunately, there are not many days warmer than 18 deg. C here and I always seem to have too much else to do when there are.

PMM
Old 30th Sep 2012, 11:20 pm   #896
alanworland
Heptode

I joined the 'Avometer' club today with a nice working 7, s/n 42447-A 653
Its lost its feet so theres some paint missing from the base but otherwise in vgc.
Boot sale £8 Had no idea how old it was till a bit of r & d showed the s/n to reveal June '53!! Amazing

Alan
alanworland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2012, 4:36 pm   #897
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Recently acquired and repaired Ex-BBC AVO 8 Mk.II: 160474-C-663

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
russell_w_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 3:50 pm   #898
Paul Adams
Retired Dormant Member

Well, I bought another AVO in a bit of a state, I just felt if I didn’t buy it, it would end up on some landfill, it had a crack along the top and the ohms pots are a bit erratic.

So I decided to take a look at the batteries first to see what other horrors awaited, and to my amazement I find a voltage converter inside, so well worth the small amount that I paid for the meter.

The serial is: 86505-C-259 (8mk2)

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VC1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	71348  
Old 10th Oct 2012, 9:32 pm   #899
threeseven
Octode

The voltage converter is a lucky find, they're as rare as hens teeth !!
threeseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2012, 12:32 pm   #900
threeseven
Octode

Latest acquisition to my Avo affliction !!
A Test Set Multirange No.1, or 8x mk4, S/no 1382/70/11/81, obviously making it a 1981 meter, although the original owner bought it in 1984, so, could there have been some stockpiling or slow selling stock ?
Now as some will know, this is a tropicalised, or ruggedised version and if you think a normal Avo 8 is heavy, try this for size ! 5kg !!
So, it has the steel outer case, which is for reinforcement and screening, does that make the little stud on the top edge of the steel case and earthing point ?
The condition is virtually as new, complete with original case, leads, prods and instruction books. I'm most pleased with this
threeseven is offline   Reply With Quote