UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2023, 5:35 pm   #1
Iangebbie
Tetrode

Default Entertainment Systems used in the Oil and Gas Industry

Hello folks, will now go over the entertainments systems used offshore (Both fixed structures and FPSO (Floating Production Storage Operation)

From an early design document,
Entertainment systems on manned platforms and Flotels should consist of an entertainment package feeding a distribution network.
The possible entertainment sources are:
- audio and video tape or disc players 

- broadcast radio receivers 

- satellite television receivers. 

The entertainment package source equipment should be located at a central point with convenient access to allow changing discs and tapes. The distribution system should feed common areas, cabins and offices. The provision of bed-head units or video monitors in cabins is at the Principal's discretion.
All entertainment audio outputs shall be muted during hazard alarms and emergency public address announcements.

Early days,
At the original commissioning stage of any offshore structure the platform could not be manned until all safety systems were commissioned and operational, the norm was to have a flotel along side the structure with a gangway between, Typical time that the flotel would be alongside could be up to two years.
Flotel contained, Eating area (Mess) beds to accommodate about 250 workers, First aid hospital, Bond (selling soft drinks, Tobacco, sweets) in most locations the tax rate for tobacco was exempt.
There was also a Helicopter landing pad for transporting workers back and forth, Entertainment consisted of two TV lounges (Smoking and non-smoking) but a third was added due to the vaping community.
Picture and other information see https://www.offshore-energy.biz/majo...edonia-flotel/
These flotels had their own propulsion system (Mini propellers) and could move the flotel at about 10mph dependant on sea state, where that were not permitted to anchor (Due to environmental issues / fish and other things on the sea bed) they had to constantly use the thrusters to maintain their position against the main platform under commissioning.
I did several trips to Shetlands on a new project (I have never encountered weather like it before) it made the north sea look like the summer, BP in their wisdom had allocated a total of two weeks lost time due to weather conditions, in reality during the winter, out of every three weeks, you were lucky if the Flotel was along side the structure for four days, out of 21 days (You still got paid, and went through endless films / DVDs)
So down to the entertainments system used on flotels, 35 years ago the best that was provided was a Bed cabin radio, with six pre-tuned radio station, VCR and TV display in the lounges (Note TV was used as a display only)
As technology progressed, a fully stabilized satellite solution was available (Original was all analogue ) consisting of a 2m dish, stabilising equipment (Gyro, Motors) down convertor and then fed to the TV lounges via Coax and related amplifiers.
https://www.kvh.com/admin/products/s...racvision-tv10
Access to the external equipment (Fitted in a fiberglass dome) was via an access point on the floor, there was a full isolation switch outside to shut down all motors within.
First time I commissioned one of these, I was inside the dome, the unit started up and the two-meter dish struck my body, my next attempt I just opened the floor door, reached for the system switch and removed my head.
Initial alignment was always a problem, motor drive units were the next problem, third biggest problem was achieving the correct focal point on the LNBs.
Took on average about two days to set up, if power was lost you had to go through a full recommissioning.
Other issues, the system was not I/S (Intrinsically safe) so a gas detector was fitted just in case of any gas clouds from the main structure, if it did detect gas the full system would shut down, fortunately I never experienced this situation in the time I worked offshore.
The entertainments system was also interfaced onto the PAGA (Public Address General Alarm system) in a full alarm power was removed from the TVs and radios in all areas, to ensure personnel could hear the instructions from the PAGA.
Fixed structure platforms,
Same type of system used but Satellite antenna fixed (No motors or gyros used) again all in a fibre glass dome, this was normally located above or the side of the Helideck, distribution as before all Analogue, but an alarm status presented to the control room to show the true status under a PAGA alarm (The entertainment system was muted or shut down)
The entertainment system was Non-Mandatory so not fed from any UPS system
Onshore plants and accommodation within the Oil and Gas industry,
This would cover accommodation located 1Km to 5km away from the main site, the norm here was a normal domestic satellite solution, but on one occasion I encountered a fully stabilized solution (In dome) this was removed from service and a domestic solution installed (This was a copy and paste error from a design house) must have wasted a lot of money, question was who did the acceptance testing, before shipping to site.
Next write up will follow on with mandatory Satellite systems (covering control / telephone) and indeed the start of the internet offshore
Regards Ian Gebbie
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 8:30 pm   #2
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

Default Re: Entertainment Systems used in the Oil and Gas Industry

Wow... lucky escape in the fibrglass dome then Ian, I would suspect that nowadays the access hatch would need to be fitted with a safety interlock thus knocking off power automatically.

Rog
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 8:45 pm   #3
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Thanks Ian, your posts are most illuminating to those of us never worked in your industry.
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 8:55 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

After a discussion amongst the mods its been decided this is too far off topic for this forum.

Thank you for the contribution but the thread will be closed.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread