UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2023, 9:58 am   #1
Rich Woods
Pentode

Default Absolute Radio to end AM transmissions on 23/01/23

Apologies if this had been covered elsewhere but I see that it has been announced that Absolute Radio will cease broadcasting on Medium Wave from 23rd Jan.
Old 8th Jan 2023, 10:20 am   #2
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: Absolute Radio to end AM transmissions on 23/01/23

I wonder what RSL station will jump in its place?

Cheers

Aub
Old 8th Jan 2023, 6:39 pm   #3
Rich Woods
Pentode

I must admit to being taken aback by the reaction to this news on other forums with folks almost dancing on the grave of AM radio with enthusiasm as well as trotting out all the worn out myths about DAB. All very sad really.
Old 8th Jan 2023, 7:14 pm   #4
paulsherwin

1215 has always been an awful network though. I'm surprised it's never been re-engineered with modern kit, though I suppose the money and motivation has never been there.

It would make sense to give Absolute a zonking great transmitter on 648 in Droitwich or wherever, but I guess Ofcom would never allow that even if Absolute were prepared to pay for it.
Old 8th Jan 2023, 7:29 pm   #5
Rich Woods
Pentode

Completely agree, just not 648khz as that would ruin things for Caroline, which comes through a treat in West Wales during the hours of darkness!
Old 8th Jan 2023, 7:30 pm   #6
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
It would make sense to give Absolute a zonking great transmitter on 648 in Droitwich or wherever, but I guess Ofcom would never allow that even if Absolute were prepared to pay for it.
What!? On Radio Caroline’s frequency?!
Old 8th Jan 2023, 7:33 pm   #7
Rich Woods
Pentode

Exactly, no no no!!! RTE1’s old frequency 567khz would be a good choice though.
Old 8th Jan 2023, 7:40 pm   #8
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

I miss the original Virgin Radio. I don't think I will miss them at all.
GOAL! Yes, absolutely.
Old 8th Jan 2023, 7:41 pm   #9
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

I wonder how many will notice? I have never known anyone who listens to it, and never heard it being played in public or in a shop.
Old 8th Jan 2023, 7:53 pm   #10
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Re the size of Tx: Caroline put in for 10kW but Ofcom would only allow them to increase to 4kW (Previous licence was for 1kW).

Let’s face it, unless you lived close to a Tx 1215 was always a difficult frequency – it’s amazing that it’s lasted in use this long. And sad though it might be to say it, AM broadcasting is well in to its death throes.

AM could have useful life, especially with a less crowded band but the environmental lobby will point at the (perceived) large transmitters.

(Small transmitters get out well – I can hear Carillon 1476 40 miles away on a couple of hundred watts – but today’s polluted RF environment doesn’t make that practical for the average listener.)
Old 8th Jan 2023, 7:54 pm   #11
Pfraser
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
1215 has always been an awful network though. I'm surprised it's never been re-engineered with modern kit, though I suppose the money and motivation has never been there.

1215kHz has always seemed particularly susceptible to fading and co-channel QRM. BBC Radio 1 sounded so much more 'solid' on 1053kHz in the Midlands, for example.

Anyone remember Arrow Classic Rock on 675kHz from Holland? Good signal, great playlist, and (yet) another MW memory!
Old 8th Jan 2023, 8:03 pm   #12
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

There is no such thing as a "difficult" frequency.
On a multi site network it just depends where you end up between TXs.

If there is only one TX then all you have to worry about is the vagaries of propagation.
Luxembourg, Arrow, RTE and lately Caroline are all in that category.
Old 8th Jan 2023, 8:11 pm   #13
paulsherwin

1215 was cobbled together from lots of old Light Programme infills with a few new transmitters at major sites using repurposed old kit. There were awful mush zones all over the place, including in Stoke when I was a kid and in Oxford where I am now.
Old 8th Jan 2023, 8:13 pm   #14
Rich Woods
Pentode

Very true. I remember when the INR test transmissions started for Virgin on 1215, initially only from Droitwich, the signal across Herefordshire & Gloucestershire was excellent & didn’t fade at all. It was only when they started to fire up the other transmitters that the problems started.
Old 8th Jan 2023, 8:15 pm   #15
Rich Woods
Pentode

Incidentally I’ve still got recordings of much of the test transmissions. Excellent selection of music it was too.
Old 8th Jan 2023, 8:32 pm   #16
Rich Woods
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
AM could have useful life, especially with a less crowded band but the environmental lobby will point at the (perceived) large transmitters.
This is a kind of wilful ignorance from the lobby. One AM transmitter will cover a much wider area than hf line of sight transmission for DAB so multiple transmitters are needed. DAB sets are also current hungry. It seems to me that it’s more of a generation issue “I don’t listen to AM radio so you shouldn’t either as it’s a waste of energy”. It’s a drop in the ocean compared to the power consumption of the internet.
Old 8th Jan 2023, 8:38 pm   #17
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin Marine View Post
I wonder how many will notice? I have never known anyone who listens to it, and never heard it being played in public or in a shop.
3.6% according to RAJAR I assume mostly internet or DAB, pity there’s not a breakdown of which medium (as far as I know) but I’m sure if there was AM would be very low.

https://www.rajar.co.uk/listening/qu..._listening.php

John
Old 8th Jan 2023, 9:13 pm   #18
hamid_1
Heptode

A few years back, Absolute Radio got permission from Ofcom to reduce the power of their AM transmitters. This was supposed to save money and keep the service commercially viable. Absolute Radio said at the time that the change would only affect a small number of listeners (<10%) so Ofcom approved it.

In May 2021 Absolute Radio stopped broadcasting on 105.8FM in London. It was replaced by Greatest Hits Radio on the same frequency, another station owned by the same group. In the weeks leading up to the switchover, Absolute Radio told affected listeners to get a DAB radio or listen online. There was no mention about being able to listen on 1215 AM despite the relatively strong signal in north London. It's clear they didn't want to promote their AM service.

Now I guess the AM audience has dwindled to the point where Absolute Radio don't consider it worth continuing.

It's sad news. Absolute Radio is one of the few AM stations I tune into, albeit only occasionally. At night it becomes difficult to listen to, due to an echo effect from multiple transmitters on the same frequency. This doesn't help to keep people listening on AM.

With BBC Radio 5 Live planning to cease AM transmissions soon, it's looking bleak for vintage radio enthusiasts.
Old 8th Jan 2023, 9:26 pm   #19
Rich Woods
Pentode

I can’t see Caroline giving up their hard won AM service without a fight. How’s the 648kHz reception in High Wycombe, always a good listen.
Old 8th Jan 2023, 10:12 pm   #20
Catkins
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamid_1 View Post

With BBC Radio 5 Live planning to cease AM transmissions soon, it's looking bleak for vintage radio enthusiasts.
Quite agree, Absolute radio on 1215 kHz is the station I always listen to when using an old AM radio. I can't stand Radio 5 live, and the only other viable station here (Radio Wales) seems to be going after an ever younger audience especially daytime (and at night it relays Radio 5 live).
Closed Thread