UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2023, 3:40 pm   #1
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Record Players in Cars

A nice little summary of the brief popularity of record players in (American) cars.
https://www.lelandwest.com/blog/list...layers-in-cars
-Jeremy
Old 25th Jan 2023, 3:44 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Record Players in Cars

I wonder what the tracking-weight was on those?
Old 25th Jan 2023, 4:02 pm   #3
Pamphonica
Nonode

It depends if you want to drive on backroads while listening! Roads in the US are not in good repair so I can't see this idea catching on again any time soon.
Old 25th Jan 2023, 4:43 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I wonder what the tracking-weight was on those?
The last one mentioned is the Norelco Auto-Mignon, which would be the Philips unit whose mechanism was also used in the portable AG9123: I've seen the tracking weight of those quoted as 11g. High, but not immediately devastating to a mono 45.

Paul
Old 25th Jan 2023, 7:53 pm   #5
John10b
Nonode

This brings back happy memories. My three best pals and I drove up to Blackpool for a weeks holiday in the sixties. The car didn’t have a radio fitted but one of my pals had a portable record player and some hit 45 records.

It worked mostly OK but we soon got fed up of the records jumping as we went over bumps, happy days.

John
Old 25th Jan 2023, 9:25 pm   #6
plaka78
Pentode

I got Philips one in at the moment for repair and to interface to a period Radio, this will be the forth that I have restored and modify a period radio for them to work. Very popular with the classic car boys
Old 25th Jan 2023, 11:07 pm   #7
Analogue man
Hexode

I can remember a friend having one back in the very early 1970's, I can't remember the make but the tracking weight was probably measured in pounds, a spring held the stylus down on the record!
Old 28th Jan 2023, 7:44 pm   #8
kirstyd
Heptode

going slightly off topic .back in the late 70s i was in the merchant navy and my main source of music was my then not that old hacker gondolier .Of Course the thing would not work properly on a rolling ship that is until the engineer made me a plinth with long spring on each corner .this was hung from the ceiling in my cabin and it worked perfectly even in rough weather .It was quite an alarming site to see the ship roll one way while the hanging Hacker stayed more or less where it was
Old 28th Jan 2023, 8:39 pm   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

That springing is actually probably relevant. My understanding is that older US-designed cars usually have much looser springing than cars designed for European roads in order to cope with dirt roads, so a player in a US car driven on a tarmac road wouldn't have been subjected to the same levels of impact as a European one.
Closed Thread