UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2018, 9:41 pm   #1
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Bargain GEC BC 5645

I bought this GEC Radio from the Harpenden Bring and buy for the bargain price of £4. Iit was very dirty had trims missing from two of the knobs and the back was hanging off.
I had evil intentions as I wanted a fairly beefy mains transformer for a future project. The plan was to rob it of it's transformer and any other useful bits.
However once it was home and on the bench I realised it was much too good to break.
I started off giving it a good clean and polish, this transformed it's appearance and having a good look at it it's a really well made set.
I gave it some juice. The amplifier worked producing a healthy buzz from the gram socket.
The valves looked a bit bright I found the mains adjuster had been set to 220v so I put it to 240v which returned the heaters to normal.
Thre was no reception at all neither on AM or VHF, I checked the Hunts capacitors to find they were all very leaky and some falling apart as they do...
I replaced them one at a time and tested the set after each had been changed, this made no difference at all still no reception.
I next had a quick check around the valve holders and found the voltages to be around what I would expect.
I checked the wave change switch and gave it a clean then switching to VHF I found I had stations!
After more checking around I found the inner winding of the AM aerial was shorting to the metal fixing bracket, I suspect the chassis had been inverted and resting on it as the bracket had cut into the winding.
After that had been sorted out I then had stations on AM.
I don't have a valve tester but I suspected that the mains adjuster had been dropped down to improve emission.
I tried swapping valves one at a time to see if any improvement could be gained. Changing the X719 made a big difference to the gain on AM so I replaced that one and cleaned the pins on the others.
I gave the chassis a dust off and removed some greasy deposits from the I.F cans wiped out the inside of the cabinet and put the chassis back in.
I hunt through the spare knobs box produced a couple of knobs that donated a bright and a outer trim ring to replace the missing ones.
The set works really well it sounds good for what it is and is surprisingly good on VHF.
I struggle with some sets to pick up a good signal on Radio 2 most sets need an additional aerial (or the telescopic aerial positioned carefully for best reception) but this set is quite happy on it's internal foil aerial.
A bargain for four quid I reckon..
All I need now is a space for it!

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180314_104210.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	159238   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180313_100909.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	159239   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180313_100808.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	159240   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180313_100821.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	159241  
Old 16th Mar 2018, 11:38 am   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Bargain GEC BC 5645

Interesting radio set. FM tuner uses two Z719/EF80 pentodes instead of the more usual ECC85. Mixer-oscillator X719/ECH81. IF amplifier W719/EF85.
For the AM detector and audio amplifier GEC stayed loyal to the DH77/6AT6. Two GEC GEX34 germanium diodes in the FM demodulator. An N709/EL84 output.
U78/6X4 HT rectifier.
A set that is well worth restoration.

DFWB.
Old 16th Mar 2018, 11:57 am   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Bargain GEC BC 5645

Good morning,
That was my set I put in the bring and buy. I am glad it has had some TLC and is in working condition. I had it in my (rather full!!) loft and decided that I was not going to get around to restore it for it for years as I have too many pending restoration projects. I don't know where the rear cover screws vanished, they were with it. Must blame the spiders!!

Christopher Capener