UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 14th Apr 2019, 12:41 am   #141
AC/HL

Default Re: The demise of the fluorescent tube

Probably the tube on it's way out. Usually one of the filaments fails, but it's only a miniaturised version of the full sized ones, so they'll likely exhibit similar end of life effects.
Old 14th Apr 2019, 1:06 am   #142
emeritus
Nonode

It might be worth trying some spray furniture polish. The CFL stick lamps in my shed used to be reluctant to start until I gave them this treatment, but they were just refusing to start at all rather than starting slowly.
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2019, 1:37 pm   #143
hannahs radios
Hexode

Thanks. I'll give it the furniture spray treatment see if that helps. It cold just be near end of life but I'll leave it until it fails completely. Fortunately I've got a box full of them so replacement won't be a problem.
hannahs radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2019, 3:09 pm   #144
The Philpott
Octode

I believe CFL's have two heaters. If one is o/c the lamp may still strike but will take longer to warm up- and will look lopsided during warm-up.
As the heater filaments are mechanically quite rigid what you might have is a break in the filament- which sometimes manages to arc weld itself back together...then breaks again. This could give rise to inconsistent start-ups.

Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2019, 6:21 pm   #145
hannahs radios
Hexode

Thanks philpot next time I put it on I'll look to see if it warms up lopsided and if it does I'll take it out and run it where I can feel the tube ends to see if one end gets hotter than the other. I'll report back tomorrow.
Old 14th Apr 2019, 8:49 pm   #146
Robsradio
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
Can I have 6 off, 6 foot twin fluorescent fittings please? High frequency ones.

-Sorry, we no longer stock those.

Oh, how about a single 5' one then?

-No sorry, haven't got any of those either!

Oh, I'm guessing you haven't got any 250W MBFU lamps then (Mercury vapour)?

-Nope: but we can order those in.

So after nearly 70 years, the fluorescent tube is now obsolete Rather sad: I've always loved the technology and was fascinated by it as a small boy and have enjoyed installing it in small factories, offices & workshops ever since.

Luckily, replacement high frequency ballasts and T8 tubes are still available, so I will be able to keep older units running for a while yet.

I can't get excited about LED technology- It just doesn't do it for me like fluorescent does!

All the best
Nick
Just noticed you are a fellow Island resident, did you try Hurst first, I bet they still have some kicking about!
Robsradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2019, 8:58 pm   #147
Robsradio
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_VK5TM View Post
And now the LED replacements will double in price as that's all that can be had.

Isn't progress wonderful.
Where I work, we originally had the shop floor fitted with twin 8ft fitting, these lasted for donkey's years and were only replaced for high bay sodium fittings as a 'cost saving' exercise, and in fairness they were reliable and probably did save money, but recently we have gone over to high bay LED fittings and I think already 3 or 4 have failed, probably the PSUs, so in the WEE bin with them and a complete new lamps fitted at heaven knows what cost!
Still, a good source of SMD LEDs from the scrap lamps
Robsradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2019, 1:19 am   #148
JohnBG8JMB
Tetrode

Having scrapped some double 8ft fittings, and 125W tubes, before they go to the tip, what is the inductance of the ballasts [4 per fitting] likely to be? I have thoughts of valve HT smoothing...

John
JohnBG8JMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2019, 11:50 am   #149
hannahs radios
Hexode

I think they are around 4H give or take a bit.