UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 11th Jun 2024, 7:43 am   #1
Beardyman
Hexode

Default Moving house and radio collection, advice needed.

Good morning all,

I shall be moving house within the next few months & was wondering if there were any basic guidelines for packing/transporting a radio collection?
They are a mixed bunch from medium sized wooden sets to small bakelite ones.
The distance they will be going is close to 300 miles & I want to give them the best possible chance of arriving intact.
Would removing the valves & packing them separately be a good idea for instance.
Obviously wrap all 13A plugs (known to be like small sledgehammers) thoroughly.
Any particular wrapping/packing material recommended?
Old 11th Jun 2024, 8:18 am   #2
ex seismic
Heptode

Default Re: Moving house and radio collection, advice needed.

On Salvage Hunters The Restorers they often use what look like old style army blankets to wrap precious things up in.
ex seismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2024, 8:39 am   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

If you are moving them yourself, bubble wrap and blankets are a good start. If you are getting a removals firm on it, I'd pack them as they are going by courier - use those double walled boxes with generous packing around the sets. Some firms are brilliant, others play football with the goods. In your shoes, I'd talk to Russell's of Andover - I've used them and found them very good.
Ted Kendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2024, 8:59 am   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

It was 220 miles and 300 radios for us five years ago, I'm not aware of any damage except a minor dig or two on the cabinets of two or three of the larger radiograms. I boxed nearly every portable radio with bubble wrap, three or more per box, likewise the smallest table radios, along with audio separates and suchlike: everything else had to take its chance, but, yes, the removal firm (Ingrams of Bishop Auckland, who were great) did have a formidable supply of old blankets and similar. I expect you're of sound mind so the task facing you will be much smaller - most of my time in packing went to other items, boxing three or four thousand books, six or seven hundred 78s, etc.. My fears were largely for such things as speaker cloths, but somehow those all came through unscathed. So, yes, I'd just say blankets, blankets, and more blankets: and make sure spaces are filled so that nothing can fall on the journey.

Paul
Paul_RK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2024, 9:58 am   #5
paulsherwin

As everyone else has said, use lots and lots and lots of bubblewrap. It's impossible to use too much bubblewrap. If you visit your local out-of-town shopping centre and tour round all the sheds you may be able to scrounge lots of used bubblewrap and polystyrene FOC. Morrisons allow customers to take away boxes - their bannana boxes are very strong, but you need to get both halves.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2024, 10:34 am   #6
Richardgr
Heptode

If the removal company packs themselves, you are insured for damage in transit. They also take about 10 times more care with the boxes, plus they do know how to pack things best (e.g. how many people know to pack plates they should be vertical on their rims?).

You concerns will be bumpy travel, storage in transit when boxes are stacked, maybe an intermediate holding stage when a load is unloaded, stored and re-loaded, torrential rain at either end and so on. If they are that precious then hiring a van and doing it yourself might be the best solution.
Richardgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2024, 12:36 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Moving is stressful enough at the best of times, the hassle of packing a load of radios yourself will just add to it.

Talk to your movers, explaining the problem and seeing what they propose as a solution. It is their daily business after all, and you will probably only move house maybe six or seven times in your adult life. Tap into their experience - that is what you are paying them for!!

Alternatively, see if there are any companies in the area that do computer relocation for businesses, in times past I used one of these on a regular basis to shift servers and workstations between clients, they knew all about how to handle Trinitron monitors and expensive Sun workstations and the like, and never broke anything.

Hiring a van and doing it yourself is fine until you pull a muscle while loading...
Old 11th Jun 2024, 12:46 pm   #8
Beobloke
Heptode

When we last moved house, I took all my hi-fi equipment and my turntable collection myself in my own car.

As I recall, it took three or four trips but was worth it for peace of mind.
Beobloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2024, 12:50 pm   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

Some sets you can pack in the boot or rear of your vehicle by separating them with cushions or blankets that go over and under the sets. That way you avoid having to pack each set separately. I personally have never removed valves and I think they are best left in place. To remove them just creates another packaging problem.
Old 11th Jun 2024, 12:59 pm   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Moving is stressful enough at the best of times, the hassle of packing a load of radios yourself will just add to it.

Talk to your movers, explaining the problem and seeing what they propose as a solution. It is their daily business after all, and you will probably only move house maybe six or seven times in your adult life. Tap into their experience - that is what you are paying them for!!

Alternatively, see if there are any companies in the area that do computer relocation for businesses, in times past I used one of these on a regular basis to shift servers and workstations between clients, they knew all about how to handle Trinitron monitors and expensive Sun workstations and the like, and never broke anything.

Hiring a van and doing it yourself is fine until you pull a muscle while loading...
Hmm. Sound advice in a way but not every removal company employs guys who are familiar with packing and transporting vintage radios. Many years ago I sold a number of vintage TV sets to a collector in the US. The collector told me just to make them ready for collection. The lorry turned up and the sets were just plonked in the back. Needless to say the sets arrived at the collector's abode with broken tubes including a rare Cossor pre war set. Lesson learnt, if I want a set to arrive at a distant site intact I either pack it myself in an oversized box (bland double boxing doesn't help per se, it's the overall extra size that counts) or deliver it myself.
Old 11th Jun 2024, 3:12 pm   #11
FIXITNOW
Octode

they are often these listed s/h on market place etc at about £5, i would buy and use these then sell them again when moved, much stronger than carboard and easy to stack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tote.png
Views:	34
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	298826  
FIXITNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2024, 3:24 pm   #12
paulsherwin

There are lots of dodgy characters in the removals business. It isn't usually the full time guys that are the problem, it's the '£100 cash in hand' types recruited in the pub the night before because the firm is short staffed.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2024, 5:22 pm   #13
Northyorks1
Heptode

Lots of good advice offered regarding bubble wrap, blankets, double wall boxes, also polystyrene chips are good. Personally I would not trust anyone to wrap and box my items, and also as previosly mentioned if you are capable I would also transport them myself, a self hire van is not a large cost for peace of mind, any damage and you only have yourself to blame.

Ian
Northyorks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2024, 5:34 pm   #14
The Philpott
Dekatron

-Yes, those tote boxes can be quite useful.
-Bubble wrap bulk rolls can be had from B&Q quite cheaply.
-The best padding for 13A plugs is an inch slice cut from 15mm plumbing pipe insulation (the thick grey expanded polythene stuff) as the pins push into the end of it easily, then tape can be wound round the whole thing.
-Likewise I would not remove the valves for transit, it just risks breaking one.

Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2024, 7:02 pm   #15
high_vacuum_house
Octode

After I moved house a couple of years ago, a couple of lessons learned during the journey.

I bought some collapsible plastic crates, these are very good and stack nicely. The floor area of them can take 2 x A4 size books side by side. They are quite strong and excellent for books, valves and small parts. Since moving, I have purchased many more. These are up in the loft and finding valves and things is much easier than various cardboard boxes.

I found 13A plugs on items a right pain. They seem to get easily trapped between things. Not much fun if you have both hands full of a heavy radio. I would take them off at the earliest opportunity as they can be easily replaced at a later date. I had one plug naughtily get in the way with the pins uppermost which I didn’t spot. This put a hole in the bottom of a radio I put on top of it!

Christopher Capener
Old 11th Jun 2024, 7:27 pm   #16
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

When we moved back in 2015 I took the backs off most of my sets and wrapped up the plug and mains cable and put it inside the set then put the back on again, that got them out of the way! Another thing we did was hire a storage unit, and put the vast majority of my stuff in there bit by bit before moving, and it was a good job we did, as the apparently ‘reputable’ company we got to do our removal turned out to be a total and utter bag of steaming horse manure!! They left stuff behind (what use is half a bed frame?!?), and sat eating in their van whilst we ran round like headless chickens trying to put stuff in it!

For packing I also used loads of bubble wrap, and foam chips, I was lucky that I could get loads of it from work, as well as good sized cardboard boxes, which we had parts delivered in, and all we did with them was throw them away, so I saved them some room in the bin! For larger sets such as console TV’s I wrapped them with bubble wrap, and put cardboard over things like speaker grilles, then got some pallet wrapping (like cling film, but you don’t want it round your sandwiches!) round them. On a couple of sets I also strengthened the cabinets by adding in some wood on the inside to stop the chassis from moving about. Radios were mostly just bubble wrapped and pallet wrapped, a good double layer was enough. Naked CRT’s were boxed up with a load of foam chips, making sure there was plenty of room in the box. Small items like transistor radios and test gear were put in boxes with a bit of bubble wrap between them, and sometimes foam chips.

Most of my stuff was then either taken to the lock up, or my Nan’s house (it was a convenient half way point!) by car, it would have probably been better in a van! But everything survived the journey, although some of it is still in the lock up!!

Best of luck with the move!

Lloyd
Lloyd 1985 is offline   Reply With Quote