UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Old 3rd Jan 2024, 3:52 pm   #41
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

Default Re: High street component shops UK

The Electronics Hub in Southampton https://www.the-electronics-hub.co.uk/ was opened in 2019 by two guys who used to work for Maplin. They sell all sorts of stuff including a range of frequently used electronic components.

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
PJC58-Hythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2024, 12:12 pm   #42
paul larner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
Is Birkett in Lincoln still going, or did they close when John died?

Aub
I was told a few weeks ago that Birketts is being run by his daughter, don't know the opening times though.
paul larner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2024, 10:34 am   #43
qualityten
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul larner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
Is Birkett in Lincoln still going, or did they close when John died?

Aub
I was told a few weeks ago that Birketts is being run by his daughter, don't know the opening times though.
Their website suggests a few hours on some weekdays. Best to ring first: 01522 520767. https://www.shoplincoln.co.uk/j-birkett

This is consistent with what his daughter told me when I visited there last summer.
qualityten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 6:39 am   #44
Richardgr
Heptode

Why no mention of Radio Spares (RS Local)? There used to be a branch near Gatwick, and the nice thing is that parts can be ordered the day before and collected in the 'shop'.

I think other online providers have the same service?

I really miss the Elfa Distralec that used to be in Stockholm. It is so annoying when that free delivery bulk order missed something vital, so there is an urgent need! It is a sign of the times when a city has no stockist, but online is very easy. I order €40 worth of parts and from DigiKey, and they are shipped for free from Texas and in my grubby mitts in 48 hours.

Back in the old days, when Laskys' was is Tunbridge Wells and they sold discrete components, I caused much merriment by asking for '3 resistors and 2 transistors'.
Richardgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 6:47 am   #45
Richardgr
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambridgeWorks View Post
Post #38
"I think it would be a rather nice and helpful addition if a new category or sub category listing component suppliers in the UK was added. Is there one that I have missed?"

Taking that a step further, I imagine there are a lot of us on here that have medium to large quantities of various types of components, spares and equipment they are prepared to dispose of, for an agreed price?
A section where members could post JUST the range and type of items they have available to offer to other members might be very appreciated, by buyers and sellers alike.
Communication being direct between both parties by PM.
Just like the restoration and repair services offered section. That is really business advertising, surely?
Rob
This is an idea I have raised here before and I think it could be a potential revenue source for the hosting site. The idea would be to provide a 'market place of markets' type solution where the listings can be correlated. Then if you need to fulfill an order of '10 25W 25R resistors', maybe you get lucky with 5 from Seller A, 3 from Seller B and 2 from Seller C. The Sellers just have to upload lists of 'what's for sale' in standard formats. The hosting site could charge a fee for the service, say 5% of selling price.

There is an excellent example of how it works over here for old car parts. (I can PM the link if anyone is interested). Something similar for vintage electronics would be a God send for buyer and seller alike.
Richardgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 5:47 pm   #46
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Personally, I really wouldn't want to be involved in some sort of 'market of markets' thing; the problem being that the Complexity Index[1] increases horribly with the number of suppliers.

The Internet [Google, Etsy, Ebay, Facebook, Alibaba] does all this for free. Scalping a 5% transaction-fee on a five-pound transaction won't keep the lights on [or pay for the hassle when HMRC come asking for you to prove you've been properly reporting the VAT].

[1] A term I happily introduced to my workplace, which sometimes had 30 or 40 suppliers bidding for a rather-low-value contract under OJEU rules. The cost of handling enquiries, translations, tax-resolutions and suchlike escalated crazuly, and we had to pay for that!