UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2017, 4:10 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Nickel plating. Cosmos Radiophone

Your thoughts on this please , I am restoring a 1924 Cosmos Radiophone all the screws and the rings around the valve look like they are Nickle plated but the name plate and other control plates are brass , would they have been Nickle plated originally. Mick.
Old 15th May 2017, 7:12 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Nickel plating. Cosmos Radiophone

Thank's for the reply's, so I need to get the parts re nickel plated, restoration going well so far, hope to get it talking soon, Mick.
Old 15th May 2017, 11:36 pm   #3
mark_in_manc
Octode

I followed the link to the paint company, who it seems offer spray-on rust
Old 16th May 2017, 11:35 am   #4
mole42uk
Nonode

You could do nickel plating at home, it's not difficult using one of the brush-on kits that are available.
We use them for repairing small areas of worn nickel on musical instruments.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 16th May 2017, 7:42 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've done home plating if anyone's interested. We bought a kit from a dealer at an autojumble. It's essentially a bag of nickel salts (primarily nickel sulphate and a few other things) and you add a bar or sheet of nickel, a car battery charger and a bank of brake light bulbs as ballast.
Ok..its a little more sophisticated than that, a fish pump to agitate the solution, ph indicator paper & buffers to correct the ph etc, and lots of elbow grease getting the stuff clean. The more advanced users will heat the water with an aquarium heater.
I used ours on the vintage car brightwork, the small stuff at least like screws and wheelnuts and door handles, but left the big stuff to the pro companies.
Might be worth considering for the tiny pieces used in radio restoration though. Now where are my Ultra control knobs....?