UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2018, 10:32 am   #81
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: TV viewing behaviour.

My son was an ardent follower but not my sort of thing really. I like something interesting like the 'Abandoned engineering series that's on at the moment, also industrial revolution programs. I watch a few quizzes and you usually learn something from them and a good detective series, I particularly like 'Vera' although I think that's largely down to the location. We visit Beamish most years.

Peter
Old 16th Sep 2018, 1:36 pm   #82
AC/HL
Dekatron

We seem to have changed the OP's intended thread from habits to preferences. For the latter, it's everything in it's season to me. I enjoyed Star Trek et al at the time, but wouldn't bother now. Different for ardent fans of course, but they accept the weaknesses of the then state of the art. Even going to great lengths to recreate sets at home, as witnessed by some recent threads. Dixon being shot shocked the nation, but would just be a scene in an action thriller today.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 5:13 pm   #83
raditechman
Heptode

The remarkable thing about PC George Dixon is that he was killed in 1950 in the film "The Blue Lamp", but was resurrected in 1955 for the BBC TV series where he remained until retiring from the police and the series ended.
Some viewers in the 405 line one channel days would unplug their televisions at the close of transmission and then put a dust cover over the set. It would not be used again until the next evening as no daytime TV then unless you watched Andy Pandy.

John
Old 16th Sep 2018, 7:41 pm   #84
Richard_FM
Octode

While I've got a fair about of respect for Dixon Of Dock Green it never seemed to get out of the 1950s style wise, & seemed to stay in a Mary Whitehouse friendly limbo while The Z Cars & The Sweeney pushed the boundaries of police dramas.

A lot of earlier TVs had doors to cover the screen up. I remember my Gran having a late one, which was the earliest set with a remote control I remember anyone having.
Old 17th Sep 2018, 9:17 am   #85
Peter.N.
Dekatron

John

The police were much tougher in those days.

Peter
Old 17th Sep 2018, 10:47 am   #86
Damien VK3RX
Tetrode

The various Star Trek series probably appealed more to those who liked science fiction, and had some very well written stories.

My family and I liked The Twilight Zone and Outer Limits when first broadcast here, and I now have them on DVD. Again, some stories are very good, but given the time and technology some acting isn't the best.

Ah, nostalgia
Old 17th Sep 2018, 11:31 am   #87
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Yes, I wasn't a "Trekkie", but enjoyed the science fiction aspect of it and other programs in a similar vein.

I have a couple of neighbours who still turn off their TV's and video/dvd/set-top boxes when they have finished their viewing.

For some, it is saving electricity and others is because their parents did it.

With modern very low standby consumption appliances, I can't see it having a noticeable effect on the electric bill when their is only one or two appliances in the house. Maybe those with one in every room might see a small difference.

Going back to the energy saving device I mentioned previously, we were told it would save $30 - $40 a quarter. It had the opposite effect, the bill went up by that amount.
Old 17th Sep 2018, 12:36 pm   #88
Grubhead
Heptode

Back to the subject.
It amazes me how many people will only watch BBC 1 and ITV 1, or at least appear to do so according to ratings of TV shows. If fact some BBC 2 shows have been moved from there when the ratings get high and moved to BBC 1 where double the amount of people will watch it!
It's like some people have an inversion to push any other button than 1 or 3.
Old 17th Sep 2018, 1:47 pm   #89
Richard_FM
Octode

Some people still seem to watch one particular channel for a whole evening rather than channel hop to see what else is on.
Old 17th Sep 2018, 2:01 pm   #90
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubhead View Post
Back to the subject.
It amazes me how many people will only watch BBC 1 and ITV 1, or at least appear to do so according to ratings of TV shows.
I'm like that but in my case the TV rarely moves from BBC4, which is essentially the channel that BBC2 used to be. Heavy on documentaries, the arts and so on.
Old 17th Sep 2018, 9:02 pm   #91
Richard_FM
Octode

I mostly watch bbc2 & 4 & normally watch more channel 4 than itv
Old 17th Sep 2018, 9:33 pm   #92
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post

I'm like that but in my case the TV rarely moves from BBC4, which is essentially the channel that BBC2 used to be. Heavy on documentaries, the arts and so on.
It's the only channel these days I can bung on and have a better than evens chance of finding something I'm prepared to watch. It's good to be surprised by a programme of reasonable quality made about something you didn't think you were interested in...but were. That's a feature of programmed TV (and the shelves of public libraries) which we miss when consuming online content aligned very closely to ones interests - like here
Old 17th Sep 2018, 9:59 pm   #93
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
While I've got a fair about of respect for Dixon Of Dock Green it never seemed to get out of the 1950s style wise, & seemed to stay in a Mary Whitehouse friendly limbo while The Z Cars & The Sweeney pushed the boundaries of police dramas.

A lot of earlier TVs had doors to cover the screen up. I remember my Gran having a late one, which was the earliest set with a remote control I remember anyone having.
Jack Warner playing a different copper in 1962. Quite shocking.
https://youtu.be/F3HE1-bc-_g
Old 17th Sep 2018, 10:33 pm   #94
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Some people still seem to watch one particular channel for a whole evening rather than channel hop to see what else is on.
When I started in the trade in 1970 BBC1 and ITV had only just been duplicated on 625 and there was a lot of viewers with 405 only sets.
Take a typical set with a Fireball tuner where the channels are in numerical order, the old biddy would have to get up from her armchair, reach round the side of the set and turn the knob (say) seven detents from 2 to 9 to change from BBC to ITV, then she would probably need the fine tuner to get rid of the infernal buzzing (vision on sound) or picture breaking up (sound on vision).

She might have considered it too much of a palava, and just left it on one channel.

Alternatively she might just call the showroom and call out one of the engineers to "turn it over" and have a chat over tea and biscuits. That's the way the rental trade was.
Old 18th Sep 2018, 12:58 pm   #95
Grubhead
Heptode

Quote:
I mostly watch bbc2 & 4 & normally watch more channel 4 than itv
Is that because you are both highly educated people?

BBC 2 and Channel Four were always seen as channels for the more educated members of the UK. Whereas BBC 1 and ITV were seen as working class channels, especially ITV which pioneered a working class soap Coronation Street.

Last edited by AC/HL; 18th Sep 2018 at 8:28 pm. Reason: Political aside edited
Old 18th Sep 2018, 3:22 pm   #96
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

How's this for an assertion?
The size of a given screen is inversely proportional to the IQ of its owner
Old 18th Sep 2018, 3:37 pm   #97
AC/HL
Dekatron

What the general public say they watch, and what they actually do watch, are two completely different things. The TV purveyors collect real time data these days, so know exactly what to broadcast and when, within their financial constraints. Same with advertising.
We aren't typical viewers, or listeners, so it's little wonder that some programmes disappoint, or that we have different preferences.
Old 18th Sep 2018, 6:20 pm   #98
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubhead View Post
Is that because you are both highly educated people?
I am secondary school educated and never made it to university because I got offered the chance to be paid to do what I loved, working with electronics. I didn't even have any actual electronics qualifications until I found time to do them years later, in my thirties.

I love BBC4 because I -find- it educational, although even to me it is noticeable how once-weighty programmes like Horizon gradually lowered the 'level' they aimed at over the years, perhaps because they felt that people either couldn't handle or didn't have the attention span for complicated stuff any more.

They might even have been right.
Old 18th Sep 2018, 6:23 pm   #99
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
How's this for an assertion?
The size of a given screen is inversely proportional to the IQ of its owner
In our age group, the size of a given screen is directly proportional to the age of the owner's eyesight!
Old 18th Sep 2018, 8:00 pm   #100
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I find the viewing habits of parrots very interesting.
In the 60s they were not at all interested I am told.
But in the later 70s they started to take a bit of interest. Program content seems not to be so important.
Now they positively love watching TV, any channel or program. I suppose the wild life content may make a particular program more interesting.

Now I know why.
Closed Thread