UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2018, 5:57 pm   #41
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: TV viewing behaviour.

I can still hear line whistle at 49 years of age and it still drives me nuts! Some tellies are worse than others though. My mate's Trinitron isn't too bad, the audio will generally drown it out.

My Mum and Dad would sit watching cricket (which neither of them could stand!) rather than switch the television off. I went round to their house one day and they were sat watching Crown green bowling (something else neither of them was into) and I said "Why don't you switch it off? If you don't wanna talk to each other you've got a lovely stereo in the corner there..." Dad grunted, Mum said "naah..."

Regards,
Paul
Old 8th Sep 2018, 7:09 pm   #42
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: TV viewing behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
I know of some odd viewing habits, mostly people watching or not watching certain programmes.
I make a point of not watching 'reality' shows and soaps. In fact (should the subject come up) I wear it as a badge of honour to have never seen an episode of some of these programmes so I guess this places me up the oddness spectrum.

In fact for years I didn't possess a TV - this most certainly marked me out as odd in the eyes of the vast majority of the populace, not to mention in some other places (probably best if no comments are made about the latter ).

My TV is plugged in but hasn't been used for nearly a week. I much prefer the radio and often listen using a variety of vintage wireless sets. So that rather seals it - I'm definitely odd.

Last edited by Junk Box Nick; 8th Sep 2018 at 7:21 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old 8th Sep 2018, 7:52 pm   #43
G4YVM David
Heptode

I havent watched BC telly in many years. I watch stuff on netflix (Bettrer Call Saul at the mo, hour a week), the odd film if family sit diwn amd nthing else. I loath having background noise of any kind...theres too much info in the sounds that surround me to lose it. I take great pleasure in announcing a visitor as their car pulls around a corner some two hundred yards away. Many people have lost the subtle art of subconscious listening. The only backgriund soumds I do sometimes listen to are those of CW on amateur bands. I will leave my K2 monitoring. Thats fun.

I do unplug our tv at night because it has been known a few times to just turn on from standby in the wee small hours and wake me with quite a start.

David
Old 9th Sep 2018, 12:45 am   #44
AC/HL
Dekatron

I doubt if any two people have precisely the same viewing habits (or listening, more or less the same thing really - entertainment) Personally, my "TV" has a mouse and a keyboard, but I do sit down with my Wife and watch something most evenings, in the cause of domestic harmony you understand.
Those of you who do admit to watching soaps, and when I was working a surprising number of my colleagues did, will notice that no-one on TV watches TV!
Old 9th Sep 2018, 3:27 pm   #45
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

My partner points out that many people who wouldn't dream of watching a TV soap cheerfully admit to being fans of The Archers. Maybe a form of snobbery? Or simply that the pictures are better on the wireless?
Old 9th Sep 2018, 4:33 pm   #46
Dai Corner
Hexode

I don't know, but at 1400 and 1900 many are washing the dishes. What more appropriate time to listen to a soap?
Old 9th Sep 2018, 9:38 pm   #47
kirstyd
Heptode

in the early 60s [when i was but a boy] my mum would often listen to the music that accompanied the test card while doing her housework .Odd thing was she would always turn the brightness right down so that the picture disappeared
Old 9th Sep 2018, 11:16 pm   #48
Grubhead
Heptode

Put your hands up all those who watched the local news channels and said that's our bus!
Old 9th Sep 2018, 11:22 pm   #49
whiskas
Octode

Is there anything on TV actually worth watching any more?
We've got pointless reality TV in spades, vulgarity and profanity at every opportunity etc
I think we've gone to the 'rust age' of television...

It seems the only way to be sure watch something good is to have a good DVD or video collection!
Old 9th Sep 2018, 11:38 pm   #50
AC/HL
Dekatron

There is a lot of tat, but there is also a lot of excellent programme material to suit all tastes.
Same with radio, DVD, even books. You just need to be selective.
Old 9th Sep 2018, 11:42 pm   #51
whiskas
Octode

Of course we need to be selective, but sometimes there's nothing to select from... at least with your own collection you've got your own selection to select from!

We do still watch Gardener's World!
Old 9th Sep 2018, 11:44 pm   #52
Refugee
Dekatron

On the odd occasion we have bought boxed sets of TV programs but not recently as a lot of them have dreadful background music and no way of turning it down like you could do with some video old games.
Old 9th Sep 2018, 11:56 pm   #53
whiskas
Octode

Network DVD have a brilliant range of quality vintage TV programs on DVD - and frequent cut price sales
Old 10th Sep 2018, 2:33 am   #54
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

I don't plug/unplug the tv/hi-fi/set top box (aerial or mains) because it is too difficult to get to, besides, as mentioned, modern stuff is probably not up to it anyway.

And if there is a thunderstorm around, well, that's what insurance is for.

I do however turn down the volume and reset it back to one specific channel before turning off. Mainly because that is the channel that is most likely to be watched when next switched on (and the volume - just in case - of what I'm not sure).

The thing is never left on (for company - the cat and dog are much better company anyway), in fact with all the loud shouty people on tv these days, about the only thing it comes on for is the news and old black and white movies.

We did have one of those things that would turn everything off after a preset time unless reset, but stupid here forgot that you need the recorder powered to record anything (I did rework the power arrangements for that one).

It got so annoying with it's stupid flashy light everytime you changed channel/hit mute/did something else or it turning everything off while you went to the ......, that it met it's end at the end of a very big hammer.

Besides, it never did reduce the power bill, which is why the Govt had it installed in the first place (Govt scheme to help reduce power consumption etc etc - total waste of time and money).
Old 10th Sep 2018, 10:28 am   #55
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Interestingly, in Saturday's paper there was the statistic that "research shows that leaving devices on standby rather than turning them off is costing Britons £1.6bn - or £86 per household - a year in electricity." That's very approximately 1kW a day per household. Being as most modern appliances have to consume less than 1W in standby I find this an over-inflated figure - you would need around 35 items left in standby all day, every day. Do you agree?
I think it might be better to advise people to turn the 55" TV off when out of the room, though that just won't happen!
Old 10th Sep 2018, 11:09 am   #56
Station X

Sounds like a project for "More or Less"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qshd

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 12:09 pm   #57
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Good idea - I'll give it a go!
Old 10th Sep 2018, 4:22 pm   #58
whiskas
Octode

Isn't it funny now that the technology for TV has got so very much better, but the currently produced content has dropped so much in quality..!,
i.e. the telly is superb but the vast majority of programs are junk!

Remember in the old days of 3 or 4 channels, you could be quite torn what to watch between BBC and ITV - now with 100's of channels, it's a struggle to find one thing really worth watching!
Quantity up, quality down..
Old 10th Sep 2018, 4:44 pm   #59

Quote:
Isn't it funny now that the technology for TV has got so very much better, but the currently produced content has dropped so much in quality..!,
And the equipment need to 'produce' a TV programme is much cheaper. I saw one (rather good) documentary about materials filmed using a mobile 'phones https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rv9r6 the quality was down to the people using the kit and the subject matter.

Old 10th Sep 2018, 5:01 pm   #60
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

It's amazing - the recent Stephen Soderbergh film 'Unsane' was filmed entirely using i-phone 7s. I saw it in the cinema and, to be honest, you could hardly tell.
Closed Thread