UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 10th Sep 2018, 11:56 am   #1
Chrissywissy
Tetrode

Default Creed Model 75 RP

Hello Friends, Colleagues, Fellow Engineers and Gifted Persons!

I wonder if you could help. I have recently acquired an example of the above machine. It looks in really good condition both inside and out however, most of the mechanism is so gummed up it appears to have been idle for many decades! Most of the moving parts are seized and I have tried to free it up with WD40 but that doesn't seem to do much although, thankfully, I don't believe it has suffered water damage as there is no rust.. I am wondering if any of you have had this problem on this or any other equipment and may be able to advise which solvent will dissolve the gum! I had thought of immersing the whole machine in a suitable liquid for a couple of weeks but I don't know what to use!

I hope you can point me in the right direction!

Thanks and regards

Chris G4RBR
Old 10th Sep 2018, 12:04 pm   #2
Scimitar
Heptode

Default Re: Creed Model 75 RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissywissy View Post
WD40 but that doesn't seem to do much
WD40 is a really good Water Dispersant which is what it was designed for. It is not a lubrication nor penetrating oil.

One of the best penetrants is a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. After that, neat diesel is worth a try as well as PlusGas if you want commercial products.

That having been said, I would be reluctant to use anything until I had some expert advice about the mechanisms.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 12:08 pm   #3
Chrissywissy
Tetrode

Hi Scimitar

Thanks for your reply. I will have a look at your suggestions but I am wary of melting the plastic bits! I'll do a test I think!

Regards

Chris
Old 10th Sep 2018, 1:55 pm   #4

Take off the electrical bits, motor and 'relay' is all I can think of, then soak in paraffin for a week, a gallon will cover it easily. I have yet to find a plastic that dissolves in paraffin.

Old 10th Sep 2018, 2:03 pm   #5
woodchips
Octode

They come to pieces quite nicely, like the 7's, but don't under any circumstances touch or undo any screw or fixing painted red.

On my 7's I just use WD40, works fine for me, apparently it is mostly white spirit which is pretty good at ungumming paint brushes.

CPC sell Clear Mechanical Oil which I use to re-lubricate my TTY's.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 4:13 pm   #6
Chrissywissy
Tetrode

Thanks Merlin Maxwell and Woodchips.

I just bought a large can of Screwfix penetrating oil and it is slowly working its way in. I marvel at the superb and precision contruction of the machines and I think we lost something wonderful and artistic in this digital age!

Will try the paraffin and diesel route first and see what happens!

Chris
Old 10th Sep 2018, 4:52 pm   #7

Quote:
I think we lost something wonderful and artistic in this digital age!
They are digital, done in a marvellous way. I know what you mean by "this digital age" though.

Old 10th Sep 2018, 5:02 pm   #8
Chrissywissy
Tetrode

Haha! Of course you are correct!

I should have said electronic digital!

Chris
Old 10th Sep 2018, 5:06 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

There is some information, including the full manual for the Creed 75 on Sam Hallas's page here :

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repository/telegraphy.htm

The 'Agregate Levers Assembly', the decoder from 6 bits (5 bit code + letters/figures) to the rotation and lift of the type cylinder based on levers with one end twice the length of the other looks to be a fascinating mechanism.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 2:45 pm   #10
Chrissywissy
Tetrode

Update!

I have cleaned up the machine and got the motor working (the brushes were stuck) and I have managed to get it to print a line of characters by wiggling the magnet lever. The motor timeout works fine and it re-awakens if I wiggle the lever. The next problem is getting the keyboard to work. This has been removed and cleaned but I don't understand how the key strokes connect to the rest of the machine. I have noticed that the Answer Back unit is missing! Is this part essential and does it connect the keyboard to the rest of the works?

Chris
Old 16th Sep 2018, 4:33 pm   #11
TonyDuell
Dekatron

According to the manual (I have never seen one of these machines) the keyboard couples to the 'Translator Unit'. I think you must have that for the receive side to work at all.

Section one of the manual gives a good overview of how the units interact.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 7:47 pm   #12
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I think you will need to knock up a power unit to supply loop current, and wire the machine for a loopback test in order that the keyboard transmits, and the teleprinter receives?
Old 17th Sep 2018, 5:02 am   #13
TonyDuell
Dekatron

(Unfortunately) you don't. The Creed 75 has the keyboard mechanically coupled to the selector mechanism. I say 'unfortunately' becuase it is impossible to use the machine for true full-duplex work, you can't avoid having a local printout of what you type.
Old 16th Oct 2018, 6:30 pm   #14
val33vo
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissywissy View Post
I just bought a large can of Screwfix penetrating oil and it is slowly working its way in. I marvel at the superb and precision contruction of the machines and I think we lost something wonderful and artistic in this digital age!
I worked briefly on telex after being sideways shifted out of the strowger exchange which was closed down and replaced by system Y. Never really did much on the 15s apart from swapping them for the replacement trend machines. TELEX was a fully digital system with logic levels of +80 -80 volts, the decoding was done mechanically on the 15s timed with an electric motor, wheras the trend used logic chips. The baud rate was generally 50 though if I remember correctly the trends could go faster but the limiting factor was the bandwidth of the VF ( voice frequency ) transmission channels. At the end all the telex calls were routed through one exchange and I do remember a spell fitting VF converters to the 80 volt machines as the network was modernised and the 80 volt exchange switching equipment recovered.

Wee trip down memory lane
Old 17th Oct 2018, 8:20 am   #15
bobsterkent
Hexode

During my apprenticeship I worked in the Telex department for three weeks, one week was spent being taught, the next week was cleaning and the third week was in maintenance (In theory ...normally the engineer just said go home.) we used to dismantle and wash all parts in a paraffin bath to get rid of any mess and scrub off with a stiff brush. Then we used a warm air blower to dry things off.
Old 17th Oct 2018, 11:49 am   #16
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quick Brown Fox anyone...
Old 17th Oct 2018, 2:31 pm   #17
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Quick Brown Fox anyone...
Hello everybody.

RYRYRRRYRYRRRYRY.

Hang on I had better tweek the selector a bit more.

RYRYRYRYRYRYRYRY.

That's better.

Robert.
Closed Thread