UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jul 2018, 1:40 pm   #21
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Last Colour Sets with Rotary Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter H View Post
So to answer the first question: there have not been Philips CTV's with rotary tuners. For much more details see here.
Except the K4, but one could argue that wasn't intended for regular sale in Europe and while series produced not mass produced.
Old 15th Jul 2018, 3:19 pm   #22
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Decontrolled, no deposit rental TV’s. Sets under 3 years old*, had to have a deposit of a percentage of the selling price or so many months rental in advance.
Decontrolled sets older than this we not covered by the regulation and very often only 1 months deposit was required.

I think I have the age correct.
Thanks I thought it would be something like that. I was looking at an old radio rentals rate chart which shows how cheaper older sets were to rent.
Old 15th Jul 2018, 3:43 pm   #23
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

The government credit control restrictions had a massive effect in the TV rental trade. Granada attempted to circumvent the restrictions by offering a set with a brand new cabinet, push button tuner and 20 inch CRT, but with an ancient Thorn 850 chassis inside, with its system switching hard-wired to 625 only.

I suppose it could be argued it was the only set Granada ever manufactured "in house".
Other companies did a similar thing.
Old 15th Jul 2018, 6:50 pm   #24
Restoration73
Nonode

It's not surprising there are only a few, as with both rotary and push button mechanical
tuners, automatic frequency control was required - this required additional circuits
that were costly prior to the designs featuring ICs. Even the tuner required a varicap
diode.
Old 15th Jul 2018, 7:26 pm   #25
toshiba tony
Heptode

A few of you have mentioned rotary tuning, but some of the sets included are not rotary in the true sense. The KV1800 and the Baird were but some of the others were not, they had preset positions that were selected by rotating a knob. True rotary tuning tv's (no presets) were indeed rare, I had a Sanyo valved colour portable, there was also the Teleton. I would like to compile a list to supplement the ones already covered. A good post!
Old 15th Jul 2018, 9:14 pm   #26
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
Sony were using them into the mid 1970s on the KV series...
All Sony Trinitron colour TV sets sold in the UK are numbered 'KV...' so it isn't a series as such, just what Sony call a Trinitron colour TV. The first Profeel monitors were KX..., KX-20PS1 and KX-27PS1, but they moved them over to PVM... (Professional Video Monitor) after those (Black Profeel etc). Monochrome sets were TV..., except for the Watchman portables which were FD... and TV / radio / cassette combos which were FX... For completeness, domestic VTRs were SL... (Beta), SLV... (VHS) and CCD (Camcorders with CCD pickup - most of them).

I did think of trying to compile a complete set of these prefixes but there are so many of them, although their use is surprisingly consistent.
Old 15th Jul 2018, 10:41 pm   #27
Richard_FM
Nonode

Mine was a KV1800.

I find some model numbers can get confused with chassis numbers by the same maker, & when companies used the same prefix at the same time, for example Ferguson & Philip using TX.
Old 16th Jul 2018, 6:42 pm   #28
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I think it became clear to foreign manufacturers that the British public were not keen on infinitely variable rotary tuners, so they made variations of their TVs with push buttons. Orion, Waltham and so on did this.
Early Japanese sets still used them, such as the Hitachi CWP132, Sanyo, Toshiba and Teletons. These were mainly portable, or at least small screen sets.
The clunky Hitachi 680 and so on were just a way of having a preset tuner without having to re-design the cabinet, though they soon changed their minds.
The Philips NC3 mentioned above did both - it had a multi-position rotary switch - 12 way varicap plus a manual position which employed a rotary control which moved a green bar across the screen - there was a scale printed on the cabinet below the screen. This dated from the mid-Eighties and I would suggest it was the last colour TV to employ an infinitely variable tuning mechanism, although of course it was electronic in nature.
Closed Thread