UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2008, 3:29 pm   #1
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Faulty Avo VCM Mk2 Zero Pot

Not sure if this is the right place for this (possibly hints and tips?) but here goes.
I am restoring my first valve tester, a recently acquired. Avo VCM Mk2.
It has had a hard life, but it still seems to work.
The intriguing thing I noticed when I got the lid off was that the Zero pot (2 section) had only the front section rotating! The universal joint in between was just spinning, despite the collet bolts being well tightened. The UJ had failed.
I removed the pot, unscrewed the long joining bolts between the sections and got to work. The rear pot was locked solid, hence the UJ failure.
- having taken the lid off the back section it was clear that the pot was completely glued up, with gunk on the track, but most particularly on the spindle. Removing the little circlip allowed me to ease out the shaft, clean thoroughly, lubricate and return it. A wipe round the rest with a meths-soaked rag completed the cleanup.
- the UJ looked impossible to replace - it's tiny, serving 1/8" spindles. But I carefully introduced a punch and tapped down the hollow rivets that hold the collets to the UJ section. Job done!
So the moral seems to be: Check inside the tester and see if BOTH sections of the Zero pot are moving. If not, the tester accuracy must be suspect and a repair is needed.
Hope this helps someone. Photo attached.
Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2118.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	20569  
Closed Thread