UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2019, 6:44 pm   #1
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default HP 8558/8559 Switch Issues

This is not a new topic to the forum. There are previous posts about how to repair these switches.

Today I have been looking at my own 8559 Spectrum Analyser which used to work OK, albeit with a few issues with the Ref Level / Attenuator switches.

Recently it has refused to sweep which is not helpful with an SA.
I have removed the plug in from the Display Unit - HP182T.

In the bottom was a tell tale 4 contact piece of spring fingering and when I looked harder there was another sandwiched in a chassis overlap. Inside the plug in itself I found two more so I have 4 identical so far - but where did they come from?

I have a pdf of the manual - it is not brilliant - but so far as I can see.

Ref Level Switch should have 2x 4 contact pieces and they are still there - I assume this is OK then.

Freq Span/Div Switch (Front) and Resolution BW Switch (Rear) have no contacts at all that I can see. There are pimples where the contacts originally fitted by something akin to a plastic rivet. We will come back to this.

Time / Division Switch should have 2x 4 contact pieces - these are hidden from view for now so unknown until unit is dismantled further.

Trigger Switch appears to use 2x 4 contact pieces - these both seem to be missing and pimples are visible as above.

My question here is how are the switches which are shown in the circuit schematics as needing 6, 8 and 10 contacts (Freq Span) realised? Should I be looking for other finger combs with more contacts? I don't seem to have enough to go around as it is!

The Freq Span/Div switch does not look wide enough to accommodate 10 contacts. The space available on that rotor (with the hairpin spring) looks like it takes 4+4 like the others. Was some trick done to mingle the pads and get more switch work out of fewer physical contact fingers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8558_9_rotors.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	188688  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 7:22 pm   #2
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: HP 8558/8559 Switch Issues

Here is the schematic for the switch, which apparently needs 10 contact fingers.

It seems pretty sure, by looking at the PCB itself, that there is a thicker middle ring which is probably a +15V circle.

That leaves 3 rings outside and another 3 inside for contacts which must produce the correct output code if using 2x 4 finger contact combs on the rotor.

Could a cunning PCB layout produce the right output codes? There is no PCB layout diagram given unfortunately.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Freq_span_div_switch.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	188689  

Last edited by Jon_G4MDC; 21st Aug 2019 at 7:30 pm.
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 2:14 pm   #3
factory
Octode

I don't have any of the 180 series SA plug-ins, but the they all seem to shed those contacts from the switch rotors as you already know.

The 8557A has them too, I don't know if they are exactly the same as the 8559 but there are some pictures of the front switch rotors showing the contacts in this repair thread;
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=80757

I also found a picture showing the PCB track layout behind one of the rotary switches in a 8558B plug-in, it also looks to have another PCB behind the first one with more rotary switches.

Name:	Screenshot_2019-08-22 Hewlett Packard 180D 8558B Spectrum Analyzer Repair (HP 180D, HP 8558B).jpg
Views:	288
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	188722
It's from this webpage with quite a detailed repair write-up & lots of pictures;
https://lazyelectrons.wordpress.com/...180d-hp-8558b/

Hopefully some of this will help with your repair.

David
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 2:42 pm   #4
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Thanks David, that appears to be track work for one of the other switches but the site does provide proof positive that the Freq Span/Div switch has 2x 4 contact fingers.
When I get it apart I will take my own photo of the PCB.

I don't like the homemade spring contacts - I think his PCB might have a short life. I hope to find a source of the right fingerstock (optimist!).

Anyway now I can count up how many contacts I am missing. At least it seems all are identical.

Jon
Closed Thread