UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2010, 9:22 am   #41
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: Obsolete fluorescent light fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
Cmjones01: Doubt this is the same thing then - the Netaline looks to be rather more substantial bit of kit than that - and as far as I'm aware there weren't any twin tube versions.
That is cute! Make your kitchen look like a 1950s factory floor in one easy step. I love the styling!
Old 27th Sep 2010, 10:09 am   #42
raditechman
Heptode

Kalee20 said:
..."I can't see that somehow - fluorescent lamps need AC to work."...
They can, did and will work on DC mains, using a resistance ballast. As long as the mains voltage was high enough to strike up the lamps initial discharge. They were not commonly used on DC mains as they were inefficient due to the waste energy in the resistance, also you had to swap the tube ends around often, this meant removing the tube and refitting it with the opposite ends swapped around. On some circuits a switch was provided to do this. If this was not done mercury would accumulate at one end of the tube. Of course it is many years since the UK had DC mains.
John
Old 27th Sep 2010, 10:28 am   #43
julie_m
Dekatron

Some years ago I remember an alert being issued about some imported car inspection lamps which contained a (short) fluorescent tube and used a long, resistive power lead as a ballast.

They worked fine until you shortened the lead .....
Old 27th Sep 2010, 11:13 am   #44
bobsterkent
Hexode

the mazda netaline advert on You Tube
Old 27th Sep 2010, 11:55 am   #45
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
....it probably was resistance wire......
.....The choke is there to provide the kick to strike the tube and then the impedance to prevent self destruction. Did they have different tubes, or is the "kick" not necessary?
Hi,
The tube was a standard four foot one, nothing fancy.
I may as well own up here and mention that at some point towards the end of the fittings life I decided to attempt rewiring it, not realizing that the wire was resistance wire, and learned how to "kill" a fluorescent tube in one fowl swoop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Back then we also had a very space age thing in our house, a circular fluorescent light, remember them?
I certainly remeber the circular fittings, at one time I think that every other house in our village had one fitted in the living room!

Andrew
Old 27th Sep 2010, 12:36 pm   #46
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by raditechman View Post
Kalee20 said:
..."I can't see that somehow - fluorescent lamps need AC to work."...
They can, did and will work on DC mains, using a resistance ballast. .
Didn't ships on d.c. supplies have light-switches that reversed the polarity to the fluorescent fitting each time the lamp was switched on?

Seem to remember being told this by some old sea-dog or other...

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 27th Sep 2010, 12:52 pm   #47
kalee20
Dekatron

Well there's a thing!

Did the cathode need a heating supply for use on DC mains (as I suggested in my earlier post), or did it keep hot due to positive ion bombardment à la OZ4 rectifier?

How did life compare with AC drive (assuming the polarity reversals took place)?

This is interesting!
Old 27th Sep 2010, 1:12 pm   #48
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Well there's a thing!

Did the cathode need a heating supply for use on DC mains (as I suggested in my earlier post), or did it keep hot due to positive ion bombardment à la OZ4 rectifier?
Nothing mentioned about heating on d.c. supplies in the 1954 Eleectrical Engineers' Reference Book (Newnes), but it says the following:

* Fluorescent lamps may be operated on d.c. supplies, but the practice is not recommended unless there is special reason for doing so.

* The choke must be retained for the starting 'kick', and a series resistance must be used to limit current (80W lamp on 200V d.c. - 116 Ohms; 230V d.c. - 147 Ohms; 250V d.c. - 172 Ohms. 205 Ohms, 290 Ohms and 350 Ohms respectively for a 40W lamp).

* The starter switch operation may become uncertain under 230V d.c., and a hand-operated switch may have to be substituted. When glow-type starters are used, two of opposite polarity are used in parallel to ensure a glow will strike in one of them.

* A polarity reversal switch should be fitted to the cct as a whole (as I mentioned in my 'sea-dog' post) to correct for 'dark-end' effect.

* No PF capacitor is, of course, necessary.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 27th Sep 2010, 1:25 pm   #49
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Certainly ships like the Queen Mary and Elizabeth were full of hidden fluorescent lights , sited behind cornicing and decorative ceiling lights and panels.
Old 27th Sep 2010, 4:03 pm   #50
cmjones01
Nonode

I can certainly remember seeing fluorescent tubes on the London Underground which were dark at one end. This would have been in the early 1980s. The explanation proffered by my dad was that they were likely to be powered from DC, since there's a lot of it about on the Underground.
Old 27th Sep 2010, 6:01 pm   #51
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Unfortunately your Dad was wrong.

The fluorescent lights on LU are powered from good old fashioned AC mains. I have been responsible for the installation of many of them.
Old 27th Sep 2010, 6:15 pm   #52
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R Pateman View Post
The fluorescent lights on LU are powered from good old fashioned AC mains. I have been responsible for the installation of many of them.
In the stations yes but surely not the ones on the trains. Though trains used ordinary incandescent lamps for many years before fluoresecents were introduced.
Old 27th Sep 2010, 8:01 pm   #53
McMurdo
Dekatron

Quote:
Was horrible. Like a milk bottle
Probably a Philips SL, available 1980 onwards

http://americanhistory.si.edu/lighti...GES/phil1b.jpg
Old 27th Sep 2010, 8:16 pm   #54
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
In the stations yes but surely not the ones on the trains. Though trains used ordinary incandescent lamps for many years before fluoresecents were introduced.
Didn't they wait for inverter technology before fluorescents were introduced in rolling stock? So AC anyway, just H'er F.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 27th Sep 2010, 8:43 pm   #55
Zelandeth
Heptode

Like a milk bottle you say...Hmm...sounds like one of the early SL series.

The SL*1000 McMurdo has a picture of there was the prototype version of what we saw commercially as the SL*18 (and slightly later, the SL*25).

Below is a picture of one from 1983.

http://loz.zelandeth.org/lamps/cf/ph...18/profile.jpg

I've a page about the SL*18 Here which might be of interest.

There has been talk about an inverter based CFL called the U-Lite by a company called Interlectric which MAY have pre-dated the SL series - however this is a claim which seems to float around periodically - and aside from one fuzzy scan of an advert I've never seen any evidence of its existence.

I spent quite a long time trying to track down an SL*18 for my collection - then overnight ended up with two of them and a 25 as well. There were so called "comfort" versions produced from the late 80s which had a white housing and an opal diffuser as well - technologically the same lamp though.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 27th Sep 2010 at 8:52 pm. Reason: date corrected
Old 27th Sep 2010, 8:58 pm   #56
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've seen plenty still working, a local pub here has 2 on top of the gate pillars.
RS sold them at one time
Old 27th Sep 2010, 9:00 pm   #57
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Wow! this is a cool thread, I too love old lighting and lamps.

I have admired (if that is the right word) a florry fitting in my aunts shed for about 23 years. It is made by ATLAS and is a light brown colour and the tube sticks out of the housing naked, the end cap is connected on a piece of wire, the other end goes into kind of cowl and has holes in it where you can see a light bulb, or so I thought until I read this, it is infact the four pinned starter lamp!

It always intrigued me and still does as when you turn it on, the starter lamp glows brightly and each time the tube flickers the lamp dips until the tube stays lit and then the starter lamp glows just a dull yellow.

I don't suppose anyone could send me a couple of those BC end cap converters could they? I'd love to have a vintage looking light in my workshop at the new house when I build it

Surprised Tas (Tazman1966) hasn't commented on here as I know he likes vintage lamps too.

Cheers
Old 27th Sep 2010, 9:04 pm   #58
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Surely fluo lighting on underground stock was always powered from a rotary converter? Can't see how they would have sensibly made it run direct from traction current at 600 / 630V DC.
Old 27th Sep 2010, 9:26 pm   #59
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunts smoothing bomb View Post
...Wow! this is a cool thread, I too love old lighting and lamps...
I agree and have been reading and digesting intently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunts smoothing bomb View Post
...Surprised Tas (Tazman1966) hasn't commented on here as I know he likes vintage lamps too...
Too true - just so much to read and absorb first...
Old 27th Sep 2010, 9:48 pm   #60
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Regarding DC operation of flourescents. In the late 60s I worked at a paper mill where power was generated by a steam turbine driving a large dynamo through a gearbox. Individual machines throughout the mill were driven by DC motors. A very small amount of AC was available via a rotary converter for the offices etc.

In my department - the Salle, or paper inspection room - there were about 80 twin tube 80W fittings. These were standard fittings with an additional box on the top, presumably containing a ballast resistor. They ran on DC and over a period of time could be seen to darken towards one end. About four times a year the mill electrician would reverse the connections to the entire installation.

Earlier I worked in an engineering factory which also had a substantial DC supply. I think this may have been quite common at the time.

Regards,
Closed Thread