UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2021, 11:12 pm   #1
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Default 'Household' battery chargers.

Further to a recent thread about AA and AAA battery charger recommendations, I just wanted to show you my 'old faithful' charger.

It fits all sizes of battery, thanks to its spring loaded negative contact arms, and even has contacts to attach 9 volt batteries.

Bought from Tandy in 1986, it's still doing everything I need it to, without any fuss or fault. Alright, it might not be 'smart', or as fast as newer models, but it suits me.

It lost its fancy smoked perspex hinged lid years ago, but it still does the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20210430_22_54_47_Pro (2).jpg
Views:	312
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	232980   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20210430_23_17_52_Pro (2).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	232981  

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 30th Apr 2021 at 11:32 pm. Reason: Additional photo.
Old 1st May 2021, 10:20 am   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: 'Household' battery chargers.

I’ve got the same charger here! Still got the lid on it, surprisingly! I remember my Dad got it when I was very young, along with a load of rechargeable AA and C cells to power a remote controlled car! I’ve still got some of the RadioShack branded Nicad’s that it used to charge, mostly all dead now though.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 1st May 2021, 11:11 am   #3
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Good to know you've still got yours, Lloyd.

I seem to remember the first lot of batteries I had were AAs, branded Ross (or possibly Uniross?) and let's just say that they weren't the best rechargeable batteries I've ever had!

Peter.
Old 1st May 2021, 12:27 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

Uniross. I still have the Uniross NiCd charger I bought from Argos in the 1980's. It takes up to 8 cells (AA, C, and D) in three groups of two and two singles, and three PP3 cells. One of the single cell/PP3 positions has a meter operated by a push button to indicate voltage. I used to use it regularly to charge the 4Ah SAFT "D" NiCd cells for my cycle lamps. These days I normally use chargers bought from Jessops in one of their sales where the charger plus batteries cost no more than the batteries. The Jessups ones take AA and AAA cells, in pairs only, are for both NiCd and NiMh cells and, unlike the Uniross, cut out after a preterermined time. One will also take a PP3.
Old 1st May 2021, 5:20 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

Uniross D cells (wearing a red,white and blue logo) were what put me off miniature Ni-Cads. Pathetic, and soon produced pretty green crystals at the +ue end.

I came across several of these (dumb) chargers in a box today, i think it's time i disposed of them...can't think of repurposing them for anything else.

Dave
Old 1st May 2021, 5:28 pm   #6
Glowing Bits!
Octode

I've heard of the Ross brand but never came across any of their batteries, it's a bit before my time, the perspex lid was primarily for Ni-Cd batteries incase they exploded during charging, it's not needed for other types.
Years ago, I bought a Uniross charger with auto shut-off primarily to charge D cells for an airbed inflator, the said airbed did have a few uses at rock gigs.
The pic below is of said charger, it now only sees occasional use when charging solar garden light batteries.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210501_172307.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	233030  
Old 3rd May 2021, 9:13 pm   #7
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I found a Kodak Easyshare M863 digital camera at my mums that hasn't been charged for six years, the Li-ion cell was down to 2.8v and stubbornly refused to charger on it's own charger.
In desperation I applied the full 5v from the charging supply across the battery terminals in three second bursts, on the third attempt the terminal voltage shot up to 3.6v and I returned it to the camera and it took a charge normally.

I have been using the camera today and it's fine.

I mention this because although I have often revived NiMH and Ni-Cd batteries, this is the first time I can remember having success with Li-ion.
Old 4th May 2021, 1:19 am   #8
Refugee
Dekatron

I once had one that was too flat to take charge from the factory charger.
I applied power from a bench power supply set to 500ma and took it off when it got to 3.5 volts. It worked again too.
Those cheap cells that sometimes blow up never recover even if they only get slightly warm.
Old 4th May 2021, 11:59 am   #9
The Philpott
Dekatron

Li-Ion which has dropped below it's 'shutdown' voltage can typically be given a trickle to bring it back into range so that the designated charger unit will accept it. Bigclive covered this subject in the past.

It surely has to be safer than zapping them, but I would keep a close eye for temperature elevation or ballooning of the envelope if it's a wafer type.

Dave
Old 4th May 2021, 4:19 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

My default battery-charger is this little one bought from Halfords at least 25 years ago. The four AA NiCd cells it came with have long since gone to meet their maker.

It is designed to 'fast charge' 700mAH cells - doing so in two hours. There's a built-in cutoff after 2 hours, so charging 1300mAH cells takes two 'cycles' and 2000mAH cells need three cycles.

The case was originally white but a combination of heat and age has caused it to go distinctly yellow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	charge.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	233257  
Old 7th May 2021, 4:33 pm   #11
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
My default battery-charger is this little one bought from Halfords at least 25 years ago. The four AA NiCd cells it came with have long since gone to meet their maker.

It is designed to 'fast charge' 700mAH cells - doing so in two hours. There's a built-in cutoff after 2 hours, so charging 1300mAH cells takes two 'cycles' and 2000mAH cells need three cycles.

The case was originally white but a combination of heat and age has caused it to go distinctly yellow.
The plastic used in the case is that so-called flame-retardant plastic that turns yellow in sunlight exposure.
My 17yo fridge has trim that turned yellow, compared to the handle.
Dave, USradcoll1.
Old 8th May 2021, 2:44 am   #12
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post

I have got a slightly younger one of those 4 cell ones with two timer settings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF6735.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	233516  
Closed Thread