UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2016, 11:29 am   #1
Mikeymushradio
Rest in Peace

Default North East Meeting NE23

We are planning to host an Open Day on a Sunday at the end of August - 21st /28th or 4th /11th September depending on feedback. Could all interested parties P.M. me with their preferred date by the end of July and we will fix a firm date.
We are hoping that the highlight of the day will be the final assembly of our Pre War TV (HMV 900) which was bought in a very sad state 5 years ago at the NVCF. We are especially grateful to Trevor and David who have spent hours restoring her back to life.
Refreshments will be available all day. Just let us know of any special dietary requirements.
There will also be opportunities for the usual exchange of unwanted treasures!.

Regards

Michael and SWMBO.
Old 25th Jul 2016, 11:57 am   #2
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: North East Meeting NE23

I can't make it on (14th August or) 1,2,3,4,5 & 6th September otherwise OK and am very tempted by your 900 start-up.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 25th Jul 2016, 2:01 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I am potentially interested and can probably manage any of the four dates given - though my least favourite would be 4th September. If I attend and participate in the refreshments, be aware that I'm vegan.
Old 12th Aug 2016, 7:15 pm   #4
Mikeymushradio
Rest in Peace

Update to all those who have expressed an interest in attending the North East Meeting NE23 which we are hosting. From replies we have received from our initial message, we have finalised a date for Sunday 11th September.

David Boynes has kindly agreed to bring the restored cabinet which we acquired from the NVCF (in a very sad state) and we hope to reassemble it on the Sunday to it's former glory!

See original discussion in this thread:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69434

Lots of 30's radios and early black and white TV's to look at and fiddle with. There will also be opportunities for the usual exchange of unwanted treasures!.

Refreshments will be provided all day!

Please PM me for further details if you would like to come and join us.

Mike and SWMBO xx
Old 4th Sep 2016, 7:23 pm   #5
Mikeymushradio
Rest in Peace

Just a reminder only one week to go to the NE23 bash.

Fingers crossed for good weather gazebo on standby, have been busy in the big shed making room for the HMV900. Plenty of space now for spectators.

We seem to have clashed with the Great North Run so Newcastle centre & A19 will be best avoided the A1 looks like the best bet.

P.M me for any details regarding address phone number etc.

Mike & Margaret
Old 10th Sep 2016, 10:32 am   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Yesterday the HMV 900 cabinet received attention to ready it for Sunday's event. The cabinet surfaces have been repolished in order to smarten them up, remember that the cabinet restoration started mid 2011. Today I will gather up all the set's other components which are in the shop, there is the mirror lid and lots of hardware belonging to the set. Screws brackets etc.
Picture of the refinished cabinet.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0081.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	129861  
Old 10th Sep 2016, 3:20 pm   #7
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Today, Mike and Margret came to the shop to take the HMV 900 to it's new home in Cramlington in Northumberland.

Check out that car registration plate.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0084.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	129878   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0083.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	129879  
Old 11th Sep 2016, 10:38 am   #8
Focus Diode
Octode

Wishing you all a great day. Sorry I couldn't make it as I'm working.

Cheers
Brian
Old 11th Sep 2016, 3:52 pm   #9
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Many thanks to Mike & Margaret for an enjoyable morning putting faces to names; it was only a pity that I was "booked" by my daughter for jobs in the afternoon.

Ed
Old 11th Sep 2016, 11:10 pm   #10
MonochromeMarc
Pentode

Hi all,

Just want to give a huge thanks to Mike and Margaret for a lovely day with superb hospitality.
It was great to catch up with forum friends and meet new friends too.
Hopefully the HMV 900 will soon be back to life too.

We both hope it's not long before we're able to come back and see you both again.

All our very best,
Marc and Glenys.
Old 12th Sep 2016, 1:21 am   #11
peter_scott
Dekatron

Yes, very many thanks to Margaret and Mike for a great day of HMV900 tinkering interspersed with loads of lovely food and drink. Great to meet some faces new to me and meet up again with friends of old.

I took a still camera with me but made a hash of using it to record various video snippets. Some I didn't intend to record and others I failed with as the toggling on/off function of video forever catches me out. Anyway I'll try and patch together something and stick it on YouTube.

The starting point was the empty 900 cabinet fully displaying David's magnificent craftsmanship and artistry and towards the end of the evening there was what looks like a very healthy CRT displaying a slightly non-standard raster and easily competing with very bright overhead lighting.

There were a few obstacles along the way. At first we weren't sure that the cabinet was big enough to enclose the loud speaker and the CRT metalwork but after figuring out that the mystery coil mounted on the back of the speaker magnet must be there to cancel undesired magnetics between the energising coil and CRT and seeing that the coil had left witness marks on the back of the CRT housing we realised that it must all fit.

Next hurdle was a lack of any orange glows from the EHT rectifier and the CRT. The rectifier filament must have got travel sick and the CRT was either acting shy or the heater pins needed a little scratch. After disposing of these troubles we still didn't have first light until we measured the focus voltage and discovered that a spurious connection from the "push about" coil was sucking all the volts away. Then first light gave us a nice line scan but no frame. Having been in store for a few years the transformer moths had eaten the frame output primary but an audio output transformer served to fill the screen.

At this point Mike and David were still working on but I thought I'd better head home to Edinburgh before my Mondeo changed into a pumpkin.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020856 (Medium).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	129983  
Old 12th Sep 2016, 1:02 pm   #12
peter_scott
Dekatron

I've put an unlisted video on YouTube. Please excuse the uneditted "reality television" aufulness of it and the horrible 16:9 format forced on me by the point and shoot camera. (And I can't see how to tell YouTube to display it in 16:9 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNWCfTsgL2U
Old 12th Sep 2016, 1:44 pm   #13
peter_scott
Dekatron

Try again..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=qc9Vkz4qXwY
Old 12th Sep 2016, 10:26 pm   #14
Mikeymushradio
Rest in Peace

We would like to thank everyone who came and shared the success of our first North East Meeting NE23. It was good to see old friends and also to put faces to names from the forums.

The weather was kind to us and we certainly enjoyed hosting the day.

Special thanks go to David and Peter for officiating at the "marriage" of the HMV 900 chassis (thanks Trevor) with her cabinet (thanks David).

Needless to say there were a few "hitches" along the way, but at least we did see some light at the end of the tunnel and heard the buzz of success!!

Some highlights of the day can be viewed via the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=qc9Vkz4qXwY

Watch this space for future updates.

Mike, Margaret and Hettie the HMV.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 5:18 pm   #15
Focus Diode
Octode

Looked like a most enjoyable day for all, so sorry I was unable to make it.
Look forward to hearing further updates.

Cheers
Brian
Old 21st Sep 2016, 12:59 pm   #16
peter_scott
Dekatron

I've updated the dreadful video with a marginally better version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBu0Jqtye8U

Peter
Closed Thread