UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Oct 2022, 5:33 pm   #1
novicerepairer
Tetrode

Default Trio KA 3500 DC Off set

Hi, I have a Trio KA3500 that I have not checked the DC offset on, as I have only recently learned the importance of checking before use with speakers.
The measurements I got with my multimeter set on max 200m amps was: left channel -57.0 and -38.0 for the right.
Would someone be able to tell me if this is Ok to use, as I wouldn’t know how I would be able to do the repairs to change these figures, but wasn’t expecting them to be that high.
Also, I used the red lead on multimeter to the red terminal on the speaker output but got a minus symbol on the multimeter?? Did I do this right??
Thanks in advance, Colin.
Old 6th Oct 2022, 5:51 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Trio KA 3500 DC Off set

The DC offset is really a voltage. The current would depend on what load you would later connect. Had there been a bad offset you would have destroyed a cheap multimeter, or blown a fuse in a posh one.

Set your multimeter on a voltage range for this measurement. Pick a high voltage range to start with as you don't yet know what you will find, then if the reading is low, switch to lower and lower voltage ranges.

For this measurement, the polarity doesn't matter as you are looking to check that the DC offset is within a hundred or so mV either polarity, and you can ignore the sign, just look at the magnitude.

General practice is to put the -ve mead of a voltmeter on a connection nearest to earth, like the black output post on an amplifier.

There are some amplifiers operated as bridges where both speaker connectors are live, but swing in opposite directions. Not very common apart from high power stage amps, and car audio

David
Old 6th Oct 2022, 5:56 pm   #3
novicerepairer
Tetrode

Thanks for your advice on saving damage to the multimeter. I will definitely use you way of working in the future. Thanks, Colin.
Old 6th Oct 2022, 7:08 pm   #4
novicerepairer
Tetrode

I wonder if anyone could confirm, if this figure is acceptable for use, or if it is in need of a repair before using?
Thanks, Colin.
Old 6th Oct 2022, 7:35 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

It doesn't look bad, but as we don't know the overall loop resistance of the circuit through the amplifier, through the multimeter and along the test leads, no one can know for sure.

Common multimeters (but not all!) are a basic 200millivolt measuring instrument shorted with a 1 Ohm resistor to make a 200milliamp current range.

IF this is so, then you have 57mV and 38mV of offset but with a 1 Ohm load, so this doesn't sound bad. A voltage measurement would have avoided the uncertainty.

David
Old 6th Oct 2022, 9:25 pm   #6
novicerepairer
Tetrode

The loop resistance bit has lost me I’m afraid, It is a digital multimeter from Maplins that was about £30, but I have used this amp quite a lot in the past with no problems. There is a couple of capacitors that look a bit leaky though.
I have not replaced them as I have not done anything that involved before!
Old 6th Oct 2022, 9:42 pm   #7
novicerepairer
Tetrode

Some pics hopefully!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE403E22-F657-4488-90E6-FF6DCA346575.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	265715   Click image for larger version

Name:	BABBE81A-E768-4E40-8D3E-CD62165C0154.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	265716  
Old 6th Oct 2022, 10:30 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

You were measuring current on your multimeter when you should have been measuring voltage. Then you asked if the current reading indicated whether the amplifier was OK or not.

The relationship between current and voltage in a circuit is resistance... and Ohm's law.

It gets a bit more complicated as there may be non-linearities. So it's best to measure the wanted thing directly.

David
Old 6th Oct 2022, 10:38 pm   #9
joebog1
Banned

The "gunk " around the caps is contact glue. Its put there so the caps are not pushed upwards when the board is in the solder bath. There is also some glue that was used in computer PSU's that burned up and became really conductive. So much so it was known to catch fire.

The glue looks tacky, and the practice is also tacky in my opinion, BUT they care about profit not ease of repair or asthetics.

The caps can still be removed but require quite a pull AFTER the leads are completely desoldered from the PCB.
"Sometimes " the glue can be prised off with a sharpish screwdriver, but if its clean underneath the cap its probably best left alone.

Joe
Old 6th Oct 2022, 10:54 pm   #10
novicerepairer
Tetrode

Oops, I see what I have said now. So sorry, I am sure it was the 200millivolts setting and Dc setting I used for the readings.
Old 7th Oct 2022, 7:47 am   #11
Radio Wrangler

Ah, then the amplifier is fine.

David
Old 7th Oct 2022, 8:18 am   #12
novicerepairer
Tetrode

Thanks so much, I didn’t know if the 58mv was a bit high and could cause speaker problems.
Thanks for your knowledge, I will fire it up again at the weekend. Sorry for my school boy error in my first message. Regards, Colin.
Closed Thread