UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2020, 12:44 pm   #1
Aubade65
Tetrode

Default Hmv 1121

I have acquired a HMV 1121 which does not appear at first glance to have been touched - it still has the transit bolts fitted.

It does however have an EL33 fitted instead of the KT61 specified in the Trader service sheet and is covered in same level of dust as everything else and as the retaining spring is off some work on it could have been carried out some time ago - the straps holding the top of the back panel are also missing.

So would there be any issue in treating this set as any other 1950s woodie and to populate it with bright yellow caps and metal film resistors or does it need to be treated with respect (I like to have my sets working).

Also would anyone know why the LW band goes down to 700 metres?. There are no stations marked on the frequency scale below 1000 metres and I had always assumed that these frequencies were occupied by beacons so why is it covered by a 1950s broadcast set?

Regards
Old 1st Jul 2020, 12:53 pm   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Hmv 1121

There were a few broadcast stations (historical as they were not far from the Arctic circle)
e.g. Oulu, Finland on 433kHz. Prior to WW2 aircraft communications could be heard on
900m (333kHz) and post war there was a brief "Airmet" weather broadcast service on that
frequency.
Old 1st Jul 2020, 2:12 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubade65 View Post

So would there be any issue in treating this set as any other 1950s woodie and to populate it with bright yellow caps and metal film resistors or does it need to be treated with respect (I like to have my sets working).
No issue at all and even if it was a rare set, it's yours to do what you like with. Are you intending to 'rebuild' the set with new components? If so I would question 'why'? Certainly replace all the paper caps since none of the originals will be any good now but why replace the resistors with metal film types? Most of the resistors will be OK and you can expect them to be mostly within their 20% tolerance. Any that are significantly high can be replaced with whatever you have to hand as long as the wattage is correct. No reason why you can't use metal film types to replace faulty ones but you don't have to and the set won't work any better than it did originally.
Old 1st Jul 2020, 6:45 pm   #4
Aubade65
Tetrode

I was not intending to indulge in a mass swap out of components regardless of condition. I too doubt if any resistors will need changing and it will simply require the wax caps and maybe some electrolytics to be replaced although the electrolytics from this era seem to soldier on with few problems.
I only made the point because I had not worked HMV sets before and I did know if there was some significance to this set and if the appearance should be maintained.
In addition the under chassis layout does not lend itself to arbitrary component replacement and it will be difficult enough to replace those components that do need to be changed which will initially be the AF grid coupling cap and wiring the tone correction cap across the LS transformer primary.

Last edited by AC/HL; 1st Jul 2020 at 8:03 pm. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread