UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2020, 10:19 am   #1
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Default Anyone used self storage containers for radios?

Hi, my collection of 200 plus vintage radios have for the past 50 years been stored in the loft of my parents house. Now sadly the time has come to sell the house. With nowhere to store them, the only option i have is one of those metal self storage containers. Will the condition of the radios suffer if stored in one of these? Cheers, Malc.
Old 13th Jun 2020, 10:37 am   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Anyone used self storage containers for radios?

In short yes, condensation will be the problem, not sure if wrapping in a plastic bag will help, how long to you intend to store them? Mick.
Old 13th Jun 2020, 10:45 am   #3
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Hi Mick, that is the problem. I may have to offer them for sale here or auction sites. I don't want to ruin them after all of these years. I was never looking forward to this day, but it had to happen. Malc.
Old 13th Jun 2020, 10:47 am   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have not used a storage container, but I have and continue to use a storage room at the local Safestore self-storage facility. The big buildings containing these rooms are dry and secure but not heated or air conditioned, so temperature and humidity will vary. The rooms are not airtight (they are open with mesh at the top). I have furniture, electrical and computer equipment, paperwork and all sorts of other things stored in mine and it has all been fine. I have had radios in there for a few months but not for an extended period.

I think the main differences with a storage container outdoors is that it will be subjected to wider temperature and humidity changes, and being sealed it could be more likely to suffer with condensation and damp issues.

I suppose part of the consideration is how long you intend to store them there for. If it is a few months while sorting out and reducing the collection, and you will be accessing it from time to time, then I doubt there is any significant issues. But if it's going to be filled, closed and left for years then it may not be such a good idea.

However compared to 50 years in the loft of a house (probably above any insulation so exposed to large temperature and humidity variations), a couple of years in a storage container is probably no worse.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 13th Jun 2020, 10:47 am   #5
Cobaltblue

We used 2 storage containers to store our household stuff as well as a similar number of radios for 18 months while we rebuilt out house.
The containers were only a few years old and all the door seals were in perfect condition

They are pretty dry but one thing we found was don't open the doors when its raining moisture once inside cannot escape and that cause a bit of mould on things close to the door and we had to spend a day with the doors open when hot and sunny to dry it out.

I thought being made of steel they would suffer from condensation but providing everything is dry going in and you don't keep opening the container when its raining it stayed very dry much to my surprise. virtually no evidence of condensation.

None of our furnishings or the radios seemed to have suffered from the experience but that was only 18 months. (2 winters).

Just my experience

Cheers

Mike T
Old 13th Jun 2020, 11:02 am   #6
David Simpson
Nonode

Malc, do you mean something like a metal "Shipping Container" ? A decent insulated double skin one might cost a grand or more. I once helped a chap to convert one into a wee photographic studio. We put in internal stud lining, extra fire retardant polystyrene, clad in T & G. A low power electric tube heater was left on, via a timer, all the year round, plus a couple of small air vents, just to avoid the slightest chance of condensation. Just the ticket.
Then there is the "Bagington Saga" - known to many VMARS & some BVWS folk. Some old chap had passed away & left a massive amount of vintage military surplus radio stuff in several containers. As to their condition & the state of the items(dampness, corrosion, rust, etc.) - best contact VMARS, unless someone on the Forum has first-hand knowledge.
"What to do with one's stuff" is a question which has been raised by a few Forum folk(approaching or reached 3 score years & ten) in recent times. 200 radios is one hewer of a size of collection. Myself(with just a small collection), and several other vintage radio folk I know, have already started downsizing.

Regards, David
Old 13th Jun 2020, 11:05 am   #7
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

If a container is well sealed you can put in dehumidifying packets. There are also foam linings which help stop dripping condensation but they need good ventilation to release the stored humidity.

https://www.budgetshippingcontainers...on-treatments/
Old 13th Jun 2020, 11:12 am   #8
Petedox
Pentode

Malc, I store all my amps and small projects in clear plastic storage boxes.

If you search on eBay under 'plastic storage boxes with lids' you can invariably find the correct size box, and in many cases they're stackable.

I put the item in the box with a couple of silica gel bags (also from eBay), seal it and put a label on it. This way I'm able to keep my stuff neatly in the loft without worrying too much. No problems so far after several years!
Old 13th Jun 2020, 12:50 pm   #9
knobtwiddler
Octode

As well as dehumidifying packets, you can get these bags with a little valve that you put the hoover over that sucks the air out of the bag. I've not tried them for electronics, but I'd imagine the concept ought to work. We use them to store various items in our loft.
Old 13th Jun 2020, 2:18 pm   #10
G4_Pete
Hexode

Do you mean buying one of your own?
I use comercial warehouse storage on a site that has a clean new warehouse and outdoor shipping containers but note on the terms and conditions that they state anything sensitive to damp should not be put in the shipping type containers they offer.

No problems with the warehouse storage conditions and certainly better than my loft. The main issue is monthly cost plus it is very difficlt to empty the thing to release the contract as you have to re home everything which if you do not have the space in the first place is difficult to do without getting rid of things.

Pete
Old 13th Jun 2020, 2:35 pm   #11
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I’ve had the pleasure of 2 storage units over the last 5 years due to a house move, and the second for storing all my Nan’s stuff after she died. Both of those are in large warehouse type buildings, the first one is great, sensibly priced, and dry, only downside is I’m on the first floor in that one, but they do have a lift. The other one is good, but not as good as the first, for a start it’s more expensive for less space, and they had a bit of a mouse problem, which they have hopefully sorted now. But I still suffer a little mould, possibly because I’m on an outside wall. One suggestion I have when storing anything is if you can, get hold of some pallet wrap (like cling film, but on a bigger roll), I wrapped most of my collection up, mostly to keep bugs out, but it also seals it up and keeps moisture away. A bit of bubble wrap under it helps keep things from getting bashed up too, I also found it’s a bit sticky so when you stack things that are wrapped in it they stand less chance of slipping off and crashing to the floor!

I used to work at a place that used the outdoor containers for storing packing material, cardboard boxes and foam inserts mostly, we also used to store old parts for discontinued products too, such as PCB’s aluminium chassis and other bits. I always found the cardboard boxes were a bit damp, and previously flat bits of cardboard came out warped, and it all smelled a bit funny too. Not only that, but they were situated in a muddy field! And you could always count on the boss to send us out to fetch something when it was chucking it down... I did notice the ceilings had some sort of insulation sprayed on them, which might be worth looking at if you do go for one.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 13th Jun 2020, 3:42 pm   #12
Paul Stenning
Administrator

My current storage is a little way into the building, not on an outside wall, and ground floor. I have previously had first floor units and agree that ground floor is definitely easier especially if you want to access it quite often.

Prices are often negotiable (many of them are franchises rather than branches), so get quotes from the websites of a few local ones and play them off against each other to get the best deal at the most convenient one. You can often get a better deal if you sign up for a minimum of one year too. I understand storage is an area of business that has seen a downturn recently so they may be more keen to do a deal on a longer term rental.

Another thing to check is access times. Some are only accessible when the office is open, others have extended hours with keyfob or PIN pad access (at extra cost). Go for whatever suits you.

With unit sizes, you can fit a lot in if you pile it high and fill to the door, but if you are likely to be in and out for things it can be a pain shifting loads of stuff out into the corridor each time. If you can afford it, go for one size bigger than you think you need for easier access. Of course if the plan is just to pile it all in there and leave it for months then go for the smallest and cheapest you can get away with and pack it full.

Paul Stenning
Old 13th Jun 2020, 4:43 pm   #13
David Simpson
Nonode

Malc, it would seem from the answers you've received that there might be a damp/condensation problem with metal storage containers if used long term. Telling us that you have 200(Jesus - 200) vintage radios begs the question - are they all rare &/or valuable ? Or are they just valuable to yourself, memory-wise ?
Whilst you're deciding on storage matters, perhaps now is the time to bite the bullet & consider parting with some of your collection. Early 1920'/30's hardwood cabinet enclosed ones could well attract decent dosh if they are in good nick. Whereas trannies & woodies from the 50's & 60's might fetch very little - those are the ones you could take a chance on storing in a metal container.
I do ken one or two folk who have large(but not flipping 200) collections of really valuable items, but they are stored in dedicated dry & ventilated rooms in their property.
Some of my spares, components, and "to do" projects are stored in a modern-ish well insulated caravan. Damp & condensation are kept at bay with it being in a sheltered location & having decent ventilation/background heating all the year round.

Regards, David
Old 13th Jun 2020, 5:08 pm   #14
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Anyone used self storage containers for radios?

One thing to watch out for with shipping containers or portable buildings with little or no ventilation is very high temperatures when the summer sun hits them.

Our engine control rooms are portable site buildings and the last hot spell a week or so ago, with the sun shining on them, the inside temperature reached just over 40’C !. With little ventilation to the outside the building acts as a good greenhouse.

This obviously would be detrimental to thermally sensitive items such as thin plastics could warp if under mechanical stress. It could dry out items like paper and glue making them brittle. Unlikely I know but things like old round CRT envelopes may not like thermal shock and could fail.

Christopher Capener
Old 13th Jun 2020, 6:48 pm   #15
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

This is a very difficult subject. I think you have to ask yourself 'What do I intend to do with them?'

If they are in storage the chances are that you will not bother to get them out and play with them. It's simply too much bother to drive to the storage facility etc.

Paying storage charges for years will probably amount to more than the radios are worth. We are all guilty of thinking our treasured collections are worth a lot more than they would realize if you had to sell them. Short term storage, if it was truly short term may be a possibility.

I presume your own loft if you have one is full. Do you have a garden or area where you could build an insulated cabin?

Steel storage containers need a lot of work to convert them into storage space suitable for sensitive equipment. The ones at the garage drip condensation in all but the warmest days ruining everything inside unless placed in plastic boxes and sprayed with damp inhibitor. They turn into giant refrigerators in the winter.

You might have to reduce the size of your collection but I do hope you manage to sort something out.
I wish you the best of luck with your predicament. John.
Old 13th Jun 2020, 9:27 pm   #16
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Hi, many thanks for your helpfull replies. The best thing i can do is sort through them and decide which ones to keep. A lot of them will be worth very little; more sentimental value. The storage container hire will be a short term fix as £20 every week will soon add up.When i get the radios down from the loft i will be able to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Cheers, Malc.
Old 13th Jun 2020, 11:57 pm   #17
Paul Stenning
Administrator

£20 per week is good for that much space short term. I'm paying just under that for my storage unit (including insurance) which is a lot smaller than a container, on a long-term deal.

Paul Stenning
Old 14th Jun 2020, 10:07 am   #18
llama
Octode

If you're an owner/occupier and a bit of space on your plot, could you stump up the readies for an extension or den? Something that increases your square-footage could well increase the value of your property by the same or more. Think "extensive outbuildings" as the estate agents put it.
Graham
Old 14th Jun 2020, 10:56 am   #19
David Simpson
Nonode

Malc, If you do go down the road that Graham & John suggest, and build something like a lean-to shed or a stand-alone shed, then I'd advise you to check back through "Search". In the last couple of years there have been a couple of long-running threads on constructing sheds so that they don't suffer damp or condensation problems, and are suitably wired to modern safe IEE Regulations.
£20/week = over a thousand quid a year ! You could build a decent insulated/heated/ventilated shed for that. Decent framing timber & cladding could be sourced from reclamation yards. Perhaps there is a friendly Forum chap living near you who could help & advise you ?

Regards, David
Old 15th Jun 2020, 8:18 am   #20
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

At least if it's on your own property it's possible to run a dehumidifier to a permanent drain. In a well-sealed extension (or even a shipping container) that shouldn't be too expensive.
Closed Thread