UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2020, 9:37 am   #41
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Default Re: Your oldest working on topic gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorBikeLes View Post
Am I allowed a home build? And not mine.
Anyway, when I started work back in '57, I struggled to wake up in the morning, and was often late for work. I could sleep through ANY normal alarum clock, so I built my own. A Westclox had two holes drilled in the base, and was screwed to a wooden board. I soldered a length of brazing rod onto the alarum winding handle and arranged that when it sounded, it unwound until it made contact with the centre prong of a twin cell cycle front light battery. A wire soldered to the top prong was soldered to a bell, also screwed to the wooden board, and a wire from the other terminal was soldered to a scratched off area of the clock's base. That woke the neighbour before me sometimes.
Great minds think alike Les.

When I was learning Morse in preparation for my Amateur Radio licence, subliminal learning was all the rage. The theory was that if you recorded a lesson and played it back while you were asleep, you would remember it.

I needed to improvise a time-switch for my battery powered reel-reel tape recorder. A length of sewing yarn was wound the alarm winder of my Westclox so that when it went off a metal weight with a wire attached was lowered onto a metal tray with another wire attached.

I tried to muffle the gong, but it still usually woke me up!
Great minds think alike x 3!. In the 1970's when I was a schoolboy I mounted a piece of choc bloc on the back of a Smiths alarm clock (I think I made 2 holes and threaded a stiff wire through to hold it). A stout wire was screwed into one end such that it made contact with the alarm winder and stopped it. As above, the clock body was connected to the battery and the wire from the choc block was connected to one of the battery contacts of the radio ( or could have been the other way round). The other battery contact went straight to the radio of course. Wind the alarm key at night by one click, then in the morning there was maybe one "ting" from the alarm bell followed by Radio 1.
Closed Thread