UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2020, 5:06 pm   #1
jimscoper
Triode

Default R107 receiver first in service?

I am digging around the history of the R107 receiver. The RadioMuseum site has it as 1940? but I would like to be a bit more precise. I suspect this set could have been available late 1939. Does anyone have any idea or what might have preceded it?
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 5:27 pm   #2
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Default Re: R107 receiver first in service?

The R107 working instruction - ZA3220 - is dated 16/4/1941.
However, it could have been an updated document from an earlier date.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 6:37 pm   #3
John KC0G
Hexode

Louis Meulstee on page 182 of his book "Wireless for the Warrior, Compendium 2" gives the date of introduction as 1940.

On page 174 there is an entry for the Reception Set R100, which was introduced in 1938. There were five versions, which were designed and built by the Signals Experimental Establishment. At the time that quantity production was considered it was realized that the complex electrical and mechanical arrangements were outdated, and in early 1939 the R100 was abandoned. HRO's were purchased as a stop-gap, and the development of a new army receiver led to the R107.

Meulstee did not include a picture of the R100 in his book, and noted that at the time of writing (2012) no illustration or drawing had been located. There is still no picture or drawing on bis web site. And there seems to be no mention (I searched) of the R100 in the million or so posts on this site.

73 John
Old 4th Jun 2020, 12:12 am   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I am almost certain the R107 I had as a teenager was dated 1944, perhaps stamped on a capacitor or the vibrator. I wonder if it even saw active service.
Closed Thread