UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2020, 7:04 am   #1
popmirrorman
Triode

Default Record Player Maintenance

Kia Orana from the Cook Islands.

I have recently acquired an old 60s Alba portable record player with a BSR turntable. We use it to supply the music in our cafe and it plays non stop all day every day. So far it has not missed a beat but i was wondering if there is some kind of maintenance i should be doing to keep it working well. It is a stacker turntable which is driven by an idler wheel. The guy i bought it off around a year ago serviced it and regreased it but i'd like to keep on top of it. I already have a spare styli ready.

I am heading to NZ soon so i can pick up any supplies i might need. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ian.
Old 30th Jan 2020, 10:00 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Record Player Maintenance

Have you read the 'Reviving your old Record Player' sticky thread at the head of this section. This covers most, if not all, of the things which need doing to restore the performance of record players and auto-changers. As for spare parts, other than electronic components, the only way to obtain mechanical parts is via requests on this and other vintage forums. These parts haven't been made for over 40 years, so will not be available via dealers, though some may be found on eBay and similar sites.
Old 31st Jan 2020, 4:16 pm   #3
popmirrorman
Triode

I'll have a look now. Thanks!
Old 31st Jan 2020, 5:14 pm   #4
John10b
Nonode

Just as a matter of interest what are the weather conditions like in your part of the world, I mean in particular temperature and humidity?
This can have a bearing on the life and performance of the old valve record players.
John
Old 1st Feb 2020, 8:25 am   #5
popmirrorman
Triode

Very humid. Appliances have a short shelf life here. Stuff from the 70s and 80s seems to withstand it a lot better. The good thing about the old gear is that you can at least open them up and replace parts.

Cheers.
Old 1st Feb 2020, 11:15 am   #6
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Ian. If possible could you post some pictures so that rp can be identified?
John
Old 1st Feb 2020, 4:05 pm   #7

Quote:
The good thing about the old gear is that you can at least open them up and replace parts.
Hear hear!!

Closed Thread