UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2014, 8:39 am   #1
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default 117L7 valve

Morning all,

I'm going to try and have a stab at building this:-

http://www.antiqueradio.org/transmitter.htm

Does anyone know of a rough equivalent of the pentode section of the 117L7 valve? I know this is an American valve with a 117v heater and also it has very low anode volts compared with the valves over here so I understand it could be slim pickings.

Many thanks

Lee
Old 10th Apr 2014, 11:07 am   #2
ValvoStef
Hexode

Default Re: 117L7 valve

Hi lee

I looked at this a while ago as well, did some research and came across a suggestion to use ECC83 and EL84 and adapt the voltages accordingly. However, this is a powerful transmitter and might not be legal here in the UK, I think 10 mW and below is allowed.

BR
Old 10th Apr 2014, 11:20 am   #3
turretslug
Dekatron

I, too, am a little worried about using either the 117L7 (described as "beam power tetrode and rectifier") or an EL84 as a local (sometimes "pantry") transmitter- you might end up with a stern knock on the door... An EF91 or EF80 might be more prudent, or I'm sure there has been discussion of the EH90 here and elsewhere- the EH90 sounds like both a hygenic and low-power way of doing things.
Old 10th Apr 2014, 11:27 am   #4
paulsherwin

The 117L7 is basically a UL84 and UY85 in a single envelope with a 117V heater, allowing it to be used in a cheap record player without a transformer or dropper (in 110V countries anyway). You can use just about anything in place of the pentode section in the Lil'7 design because it's just an oscillator.

As has been said, this design is illegal in the EU, and probably in the US too, so if you build it make sure that the signal isn't leaking out. Increasing the HT voltage will increase the output even further.
Old 10th Apr 2014, 2:24 pm   #5
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.
I will try an EF183/184 or EF80 or something and lower the HT volts I think to get signal just within the house.

Cheers
Lee
Old 10th Apr 2014, 2:29 pm   #6
paulsherwin

You can also adjust the aerial to reduce the range.
Old 10th Apr 2014, 7:16 pm   #7
FrankB
Heptode

I have repaired many old record players and a few table radios that used the 117L7.
I am just paranoid enough I always use an isolation transformer on any equipment like that.
They do work quite well, and I have access to many 117L7's, as they are pretty common to find here.
Old 29th Jul 2016, 5:13 pm   #8
kentplums
Hexode

Hi all, especially FrankB... if you still have a few of those tubes lying around I would be more than interested - tell me more. I'd be running on European 230v so a step down tx would have to be used .

Resurrection of an old post I realise

cheers
R
Old 29th Jul 2016, 9:43 pm   #9
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Check out this application for the 117L7. Interesting zero anode volts oscillator.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_117l7.html

DFWB.
Old 30th Jul 2016, 11:08 pm   #10
kalee20
Dekatron

I'm not sure about that - I reckon there's about half a volt to run the oscillator, generated by contact potential in the rectifier section.

Interesting circuit though!
Old 12th Sep 2016, 7:23 am   #11
FrankB
Heptode

Kent,
Just saw your post. I do have some here as spares. When I get them dug out, I'll let you know. Feel free to bug me from time to time on them too. My memory is not what it used to be.
Closed Thread