UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2010, 9:45 pm   #1
newtube
Triode

Default 12at7 alternative?

Good evening gents. .
Could anyone tell me if there is an alternative to a 12at7 valve?
The one i have in my amplifier has just gone to valve heaven after about 60yrs of service so i need to source another asap as i have a friend coming round on sunday for his first taste of valve audio

Do i have any options for a plug and play valve or stick to a 12at7?
Thankyou in advance,
Darran.
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 9:47 pm   #2
HG MICKE
Pentode

Default Re: 12at7 alternative?

ECC81 is a direct replacement.
Colin
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 10:04 pm   #3
newtube
Triode

Thanks colin, much appreciated
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 10:16 pm   #4
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Or B309, CV455, E2157, B152 according to the Valve Museum.
Alan
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 11:20 pm   #5
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

and 6060, 6201, CV4024, 12AT7WA, 12AT7WB, 12AT7WC, A2900, M8162. This valve seems to have more equivalents than any other? Some of these are special quality versions (i.e. long life or resistant to vibration) and this might be reflected in the price.
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 11:28 pm   #6
paulsherwin

This valve was very widely used in industrial and military equipment across the world, hence the large number of minor variants and ruggedized types.

Generally speaking, these valves are plentiful and cheap, though there are a few manufacturers and batch codes which are hugely fashionable with the golden ears brigade and these have much higher prices. It's debatable if they actually sound any different.

A forum member may be prepared to sell you one for a reasonable sum if you ask in the appropriate section of the forum (i.e. not in this thread.)

Paul
Closed Thread