UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2008, 1:04 am   #1
Don Collie jnr
Retired Dormant Member

Default BNC plug turns on cable no more!

The cable clamping arrangement on some older BNC plugs left something to be desired, with the result that the plug body turns on the cable. Eventually
this can lead [no pun intended] to a broken connection, and the need to replace, or recycle the plug. [and a shorter cable]. Work a drop or two of "superglue" [cyanoacrylate] down between the coax, and the plug body
and wait a minute for the glue to set. Now the plug will *never* turn on the coax again. FWIW,............................................. .............Don Collie jnr.
Old 14th Jul 2008, 9:13 pm   #2
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: BNC plug turns on cable no more!

Can the plug be re-used?
Old 15th Jul 2008, 6:15 am   #3
Don Collie jnr
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: BNC plug turns on cable no more!

I think it would be possible to unscrew the plug, and remove the coax sheath using a pocket knife with a small blade, although I have to admit that I haven`t tried to do this. That way you could recycle the plug again. I priced non - crimp BNC plugs in the Farnell catalogue the other night, [shock, horror] they were NZ$15 each!
[ Don`t use the jel superglue ; the liquid stuff penetrates better]
.................................................. ...........................................Don C.
Closed Thread