UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2020, 6:21 pm   #1
Paul_A_R
Tetrode

Default Dansette Companion

I picked up this Dansette Companion which performs somewhat poorly and was hoping to get better reception out of it.

I see there are schematics for two versions but the radio does not look much like either the new or the old versions posted on the Radiomuseum. The circuit board is shorter on the left hand side and there are fewer components. There is a note on the Radiomuseum entries saying late production sets used a Mixer/IF module. Is this one of those?

Is there a schematic for this version?

Reception is poor. It picks up only 1 station on LW and one on MW; both poorly. This is not a good AM reception area but I can still pick up several stations on other AM sets I have.

Can anyone give some advice on where to start with trying to improve reception?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200630_171319393.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	209925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200630_171351874.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	209926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200630_171329483.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	209927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200630_171337191.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	209928  
Old 30th Jun 2020, 6:43 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Companion

This is the module version but it does not give a circuit for the modules only the AF and RF tuned circuits.
https://www.service-data.com/product...05/1497/a11105
Old 30th Jun 2020, 6:48 pm   #3
unitelex
Hexode

Hi Paul,
Yes it looks like it has an IF module or Mixer/IF this would be the metal can lower LHS of the 1st picture.

For better reception you could try adding an external antenna wire, a few metres should improve it quite a bit.
Remember MW reception is usually better at night, more stations due to better reflections from the ionosphere. So try daytime and night time reception.

If it is still not picking up stations it may have a fault in the IF or there is a distinct possibility that the RF/IF alignment has been disturbed by the previous owner. If that is the case then it will need re-alignment using a signal generator.

Best Regards
Chris

Last edited by unitelex; 30th Jun 2020 at 6:49 pm. Reason: incomplete
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 9:52 pm   #4
Paul_A_R
Tetrode

Thanks for clarifying about the service sheet.

I will try adding an external antenna when the Companion gets back on to the bench.
Closed Thread