UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2020, 12:51 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Murphy A50 dial assy

I could do with a pic or help assembling the dial assy the radio has been on the waiting list for about ten years ,as a consequence the memory has failed me Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0048.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	209901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0047.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	209902  
Old 30th Jun 2020, 4:59 pm   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Murphy A50 dial assy

Hi Mick, do you have the Murphy manual for this? If not then I can transcribe the instructions for removing the station name panel, the reverse process being what you need. If that doesn't help I do have a working A50 but getting the chassis out and back in is a bit of a pig, so I'd rather not, unless you are absolutely stuck. Cheers, Jerry
Old 30th Jun 2020, 6:17 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi Jerry thank's for responding , I have a play with the bits, am I correct in saying that there is a plastic window trapped between the curved part ,then I saw where four holes lined up ,am I talking sense ,I don't want you to go to trouble of removing the chassis , I am sure I will work it out , cheers Mick.
Old 30th Jun 2020, 9:48 pm   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

Ah! does the plastic window have station names on it , I don.t seem to have that part, buer. well it has been ten years. Mick.
Old 30th Jun 2020, 10:21 pm   #5
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi Mick, I've taken a couple of photos from the front (although it is difficult to get a decent shot because of the reflections from the smoked glass). Yes, there is a curved station name panel that is held in place by the 2 vertical side brackets with slots in them shown in your images. The idea is that the station name panel at the front remains stationary (with different colours for each band) while the drum rotates behind it causing the bars on the drum to line up with the station names at the vertical cursor. The text from the manual says the following.
"The station name panel can be removed by undoing the securing screws. Four screws hold the escutcheon assembly to the tuning frame, four more hold the panel frame to the escutcheon, and eight hold the panel to the panel frame. When replacing the name panel it should be assembled so that the vertical brackets are behind the scale frame, otherwise the drum will rub the scale. Bakelite spacing washers were used between the escutcheon and the tuning frame in the earlier models, but these were replaced with rubber ones to give greater clearance between the drum and the scale. When replacing the escutcheon, see that the names register correctly with the markings on the drum".As it happens after I powered up the set, the wretched mains on-off switch has now got contacts stuck open so I will have to take the chassis out anyway to fix that. Watch this space! Cheers, Jerry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1080147.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	209950   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080148.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	209951  
Old 30th Jun 2020, 11:03 pm   #6
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi Jerry thank's for going to the trouble with the pictures, and the description they will be a great help , all I need to to now is find the dial . Good luck with the on off switch , I found s squirt of WD sometimes works ,Mick.
Old 1st Jul 2020, 9:09 am   #7
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi Mick, if you are up for a challenge I reckon it might be possible to make a replica station names dial. I'm thinking of a clear plastic drinks bottle, and maybe a hotwire fixture to bend the edges back for the fixings. Then you would need a waterslide transfer to stick on the inside of the plastic. Because the originl is curved, scanning is impossible but when I get the chassis out I'll take some measurements and have a go at typing out the station names in MS Word, then resizing and converting to pdf.
Cheers, Jerry
Old 1st Jul 2020, 9:19 am   #8
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi Jerry wow! that sounds like a plan ,I have never done anything like that , but I may be able to get it printed on self adhesive film from a pdf . Mick.
Old 1st Jul 2020, 12:56 pm   #9
cathoderay57
Nonode

Here we go. First, a sketch of the dial assembly. Then a few photos. I'll have to do a second post with the rest of the photos and the dial image. P.S. Sorry, there's an error in the sketch. The height of the plastic station name panel should be 192mm, not 19mm. Cheers, Jerry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1080149.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	209998   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080150.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	209999   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080151.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	210000   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080152.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	210001  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Murphy A50 Dial Drum.pdf (71.5 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by cathoderay57; 1st Jul 2020 at 1:13 pm.
Old 1st Jul 2020, 1:08 pm   #10
cathoderay57
Nonode

Here are the rest of the photos and the dial images. I've provided versions first in MS Word 2007 (on the page you will find a 2-column table with only the centre vertical border filled in. The left hand column is blank). The document is sized so as to print the right size (but see note at the end)). Secondly it is provided as a pdf, again resized to print the right size. If you get problems with the size(s) check in printer set-up that you don't have something like a check box ticked for "fit to page" or similar.
When you have printed the waterslide or sticky transparency (noting you will probably need to flip the image to print in reverse) it needs to be positioned so that the station names align with the bars on the drum, starting with Aberdeen at the top. By my measurement, the top of the lettering for Aberdeen should be positioned at 25mm from the top edge of the station name panel, as shown in the sketch on the previous post. It looks like you won't need the hotwire fixture to fold the plastic - if you get a bottle of the right diameter it should be flexible enough just to drill the 8 mounting holes using the scale frame as a template. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1080155.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	210004   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080154.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	210005   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080153.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	210007  
Attached Files
File Type: docx Murphy A50 Dial.docx (12.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: pdf Murphy A50 Dial.pdf (550.0 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by cathoderay57; 1st Jul 2020 at 1:16 pm.
Old 1st Jul 2020, 1:40 pm   #11
MurphyNut
Heptode

Something to watch out for is the curved perspex shrinking and coming into contact with the drum and wearing away the lettering. Sadly long before I got my set this had happened. I enlarged the fixing holes slightly and was able to get curvature right so nothing rubs and I can now hang onto what lettering I have left!
Old 1st Jul 2020, 1:54 pm   #12
cathoderay57
Nonode

Flipping the image for reverse printing is easy when you know how! I did struggle for a bit. The easiest way is from printer set-up. For example I have a Canon TS5051 inkjet. To print in reverse from MS Word select print, printer properties, media type drop down needs to be changed from plain paper to other papers > T-shirt transfers. Can also be described as mirror image print. If you get stuck best Google your printer name with the question. Cheers, Jerry
Old 1st Jul 2020, 2:01 pm   #13
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Murphy A50 dial assy

Good afternoon,
I have a rather battered A 50 radio that is visually complete if you wish to have a doner set to rob the dial assembly from for a few beer tokens!!. It is near the end of a rather long “to do something with” list. If you are interested, PM me And I can sort something out.

Christopher Capener
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 9:02 am   #14
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi thank's for all the info there Jerry, I have downloaded it , as I don't have a colour printer I will need to get a friend of a friend to do the work , he has done dials for me in the past on clear self adhesive film .
Thank's for the offer Christopher ,definitely interested. PM sent . Mick.
Closed Thread