UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2020, 8:55 am   #41
Viewmaster
Hexode

Default Re: Talking Pictures TV

If TPTV ever folds it will be worse than BBC folding for me.
I shall miss the opening curtains, 35mm projector op, COMING TO THIS SCREEN trailers etc.
I guess it's all about living in the past, best time of ones life, although no one
told you that it was at that time.
Old 19th May 2020, 10:21 am   #42
Dave757
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viewmaster View Post
I guess it's all about living in the past, best time of ones life, although no one
told you that it was at that time.
Hi,

Yes, as someone cleverer than I once said, - Youth is wasted on the young.

And anyway, you can only live in the past, after all who knows what's
coming next!

Stay Safe

Kind regards
Dave
Old 20th May 2020, 10:52 am   #43
poppydog
Banned

Sony classic seem to be showing identical films that talking pictures have been showing at the moment, not sure if this is going to pan out.
Just a quick note that The Molly Maguires is on at 10.05pm tonight, excellent film that is hardly ever shown, dont miss it.

poppydog
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 11:54 pm   #44
ITAM805
Nonode

Found this interesting clip on twitter this evening about the channel Talking Pictures TV
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 12:15 am   #45
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Talking Pictures TV

I don't binge on this or any other channel "From Dawn Till Dusk" [a Zombie Western that is actually very good until it deteriorates into predictable gory violence]. but apparently, very many people do. Working out what members of the Forum were talking about, I've tuned in regularly for a vintage fix! It's quaint but very "on the ball" at the same time and has an immense respect for its audience-pretty much lacking elsewhere! After being featured in a weekend colour magazine recently, Noel and his daughter Sarah, who run the channel from a shed in the garden, were on the six o'clock news today [Monday]. The BBC interviewer couldn't really believe that the main television companies were so completely disinterested in all the reels Noel had picked up for a [relative] song. We don't do B+W films after 4pm they'd said!

Predictably Ofcom tried to jump on the Company in 2018 but quickly went back to doing very little. TPTV ran "Unearthly Stranger" at 7-10pm [1963] a very much underrated film about Alien/Human identity. I then watched Roswell New Mexico on ITV2 with my daughter at 8pm. A big hit in the States, it's pretty much an extended version of the same idea but with some US chick lit content and current political issues issues in focus! I tuned in to the 10pm news later, just to confirm that they would have dropped the TP piece by then and they did. Well they've had bad news themselves after all. Six Million people are watching the Talking Pictures Channel and the audience for the London Broadcasting Company has overtaken Radio 4-now why would that be I listen to LBC and it is somewhat different but when you follow that yellow brick road, it's just a chap behind a curtain with a megaphone! Others are catching on, Film 4 ran "The Day Will Dawn" 1942 mid afternoon which had some wireless telegraphy going on while they searched for U Boats.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 23rd Jun 2020 at 12:32 am.
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 12:34 pm   #46

Default Talking Pictures TV on the BBC website

Here...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entert...a-lockdown-hit

Old 23rd Jun 2020, 1:31 pm   #47
philthespark
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
They've been running 'Danger UXB' (1979, Anthony Andrews, Judy Geeson, Iain Cuthbertson) for some weeks now. I don't know how fact based it is but the challenges presented by the various different bomb fuses and the typically British Heath-Robinson wheezes to get around each one make for fascinating viewing, it would be interesting to know how much of that technical content was based on historical fact.

I'm hoping they'll run 'Wings' (First world war, Royal Flying Corps drama) some time, as well.

My favourite TPTV material is the archive material from the likes of British Transport Films, Public Information Films and the Imperial War Museum's archives, documentary-dramas like 'Target For Tonight' for example.
Re your comment on 'Danger UXB' with Anthony andrews, in the 80's there was a series on C4 of the same name, although this was factual, there was also a book of the same title to accompany the series.
My dad had a good friend who owned a shop selling government surplus stuff in the 70s and 80's and I remember seeing a 'crabtree defuzer' in his shop window once, it had two pins on the end, a bit like the spanner for changing discs on an angle grinder, it attached to the fuze head, shorted out the battery, preventing detonation, and then allowed you to unscrew the fuze and extract it. iirc that was a type 40, later on came the type 50, it had a tapered end with a metal collar that stopped you pulling it from the fuze pocket.
They were made by a German company that is still going today, apparently the guy who owned the company never got over the fact that Hitler never paid what he owed and this guy was left being owed several million marks, something he never got over, right up until his death many years later.
Well there we go, it just shows what you can learn by watching certain tv programmes and reading books. Incidentally that book was written by someone called M J Jappy, just in case anyone else wants to read it, it's very good, factual and educational.
Old 24th Jun 2020, 9:34 am   #48
G6ONEDave
Octode

Post 46 link can also be accessed on smart tv via the BBC red button, audio and video, Nostalgic family run TV channel, a lockdown hit.
Old 24th Jun 2020, 10:44 am   #49
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Talking Pictures TV, which was mentioned on the BBC news yesterday, is run from a back garden by two folks in the main.

Excellent too.
Old 24th Jun 2020, 12:01 pm   #50
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

On Sunday I used the TPTV "contact us" to send a question. Sarah replied the next day!

I can't imagine the BBC doing that, despite their recent news item about them.

Rob
Old 24th Jun 2020, 12:18 pm   #51
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Many thanks to Merlin for putting up the BBC News link [at post 46*]. I was trying to catch the "repeat" at 10pm on Monday [post 45*] but no chance! The item confirms that the people and premises at the station are as genuine as might have been imagined. TPTV are repeating "Meet Mr Lucifer" a 1953 'spoof' re Television. There was Forum interest in the past due to the hardware shown on screen.
I thought it was a good film as well but not everyone agreed

Dave W

Re Phil's comment about Danger UXB [p47*] there is a classic b+w film based on a chap who is doing that sort of job. I can't recall the title at present but I think it's been shown on both BBC and TPTV.
Stop Press-the name Nigel Balchin came into my head. He wrote "The Small Back Room" and many other wartime based books. The film came out in 1949!

Last edited by dave walsh; 24th Jun 2020 at 12:26 pm.
Old 24th Jun 2020, 5:32 pm   #52

I used (and still do upon occasion) them way before their TV appearance for the odd hard to find films. One of my first purchases was "Death at Broadcasting House" on DVD, not the cheapest (well below 20 quid I think) supurb conversion/restoration, well worth every penny. I also got the "Paul Temple" films with Dick Bentley(?) again, worth it. It can't be cheap to find, restore, publish and broadcast these historical things, I am very glad they do.

And they have the old school method of promoting stuff by real mail! Seems much more important than e-mail.

Old 24th Jun 2020, 10:24 pm   #53
emeritus
Dekatron

If films are still in copyright, a fee will be payable to the rights owner for public broadcasting.
Old 25th Jun 2020, 12:04 am   #54
Radio Wrangler

Of course.... doh! they would have had to have been silent. It looks like I'll have to retire that jest.

Thanks,

David
Old 29th Jun 2020, 3:03 pm   #55
malvision
Pentode

Default TPTV a perfect companion for vintage Televisions

all wired up and ready to watch on my Philips G6/1967 Philips G25K502

https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/abou...g-pictures-tv/
Old 9th Jul 2020, 8:01 pm   #56
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: TPTV a perfect companion for vintage Televisions

I've also talked with TPTV. You will find they are very dilligent in their showing of films in the correct aspect ratios, be it Academy, Wide-Screen or Cinemascope - just remember to set your TV to Auto-Sizing. Also those delightful inserts of swaying curtains, prosceniums, ice-cream ladies and snippets of trailers are all perfectly judged. Sublime!

https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/

Last edited by Station X; 11th Jul 2020 at 9:30 pm. Reason: LINK ADDED!!!!
Old 17th Jul 2020, 6:08 pm   #57
avocollector
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuram1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSmith625 View Post
I find that I watch more of this channel these days than the the main BBC and ITV etc. One of the things I do like is that they endeavour to show the complete film or TV programme from the start including station ident eg- Thames, LWT etc. Also at the end they don't shrink the credits to a corner of the screen so you can hardly read them and blast out what is coming on next as seems to be the norm now by the main broadcasters. May they go from strength to strength.

Alan
Shrinking the credits is really annoying as it happens all the time on most channels. You can't see the main actors names but after the shrink its ok to see who made the tea or best boy.
Even happens now here in NZ which IMHO is normally 10 years behind the UK at least!!
Old 17th Jul 2020, 8:19 pm   #58
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I used (and still do upon occasion) them way before their TV appearance for the odd hard to find films. One of my first purchases was "Death at Broadcasting House" on DVD, not the cheapest (well below 20 quid I think) supurb conversion/restoration, well worth every penny. I also got the "Paul Temple" films with Dick Bentley(?) again, worth it. It can't be cheap to find, restore, publish and broadcast these historical things, I am very glad they do.

And they have the old school method of promoting stuff by real mail! Seems much more important than e-mail.

I think you will find it was John Bentley.

Dick Bentley was teamed up with Jimmy Edwards for the famous "Take It From Here" radio comedy series starting ca 1949
Old 18th Jul 2020, 5:25 pm   #59
Grubhead
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Sony classic seem to be showing identical films that talking pictures have been showing at the moment, not sure if this is going to pan out.
Just a quick note that The Molly Maguires is on at 10.05pm tonight, excellent film that is hardly ever shown, dont miss it.

poppydog
True, but the picture quality, even though both are SD, is a lot worse on Sony Classics.
Old 19th Jul 2020, 9:22 am   #60
Michael Maurice

I love watching the re-runs of Budgie with Adam Faith, Iain Cuthbertson and Lynn Dalby, also The gentle Touch and Rumpole of the Bailey.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread