UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2020, 9:33 pm   #1
davyrocket2
Pentode

Default Pye Fenman 2

Hello To all I have been given a Pye Fenman MK2, by a forum member it has been restored and works very well. I live in a block of flats which has a communal Ariel distribution system .I get lots of stations on FM and from reading articles there is a way to extend beyond 100 mhz ,by a internal adjustment can anyone explain how to do this and is it normal to not get any reception on ,Medium Wave or Long Wave, or is this now because we only get digital transmissions regards David Grant.
Old 28th Sep 2020, 4:42 am   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye Fenman 2

There's a fair amount of stations on medium wave and perhaps a measly couple on long wave. The problem with both of those bands is interference from digital sources; wall wart power supplies, TVs, broadband etc etc. As a starter the set has to be oriented so that its internal ferrite aerial is at right angles to the transmitting station. Regarding the digital interference problem, use a small portable radio to 'home in' on such sources and simply turn them off. Of course, the problem may be coming from neighbours. It's a huge problem for AM and there's no easy answer.

Personally I wouldn't extend the FM band above 100 because the dial scale would then be out. But that might not bother you.
Old 28th Sep 2020, 8:12 am   #3
deswradio
Tetrode

The other issue is that in a block of flats, the medium and long wave signals may well be attenuated by the steel frame of the building. This means that the weaker signals may well be completely obliterated by local interference.
Old 28th Sep 2020, 8:25 am   #4
Mr 1936
Heptode

Just a note to say that it's very unlikely that the communal aerial will provide anything other than VHF and UHF Radio and TV, i.e. no LW, MW or SW.
Old 28th Sep 2020, 9:00 am   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by deswradio View Post
The other issue is that in a block of flats, the medium and long wave signals may well be attenuated by the steel frame of the building. This means that the weaker signals may well be completely obliterated by local interference.
Well yes, but equally if the flat is elevated and the set is placed against a wall or window that is towards the transmitter, then the situation could very well be preferential.
Old 28th Sep 2020, 10:36 am   #6
music-centre
Heptode

Some Fenman 2 models didn't have a ferrite rod aerial (early models?) worth checking if yours has.

You could position a plug to use the foil FM aerial for it but better a length of wire in the AM aerial socket.
Steve.
Old 28th Sep 2020, 7:32 pm   #7
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

A home made frame aerial was popular for flat dwellers and gives go rejection of SMPS interference.
There have been some threads about this on the Forum in the past

Ed
Old 28th Sep 2020, 7:37 pm   #8
Aub
Nonode

When I had a Fenman 2, it was never brilliant on Long and medium waves and needed at least a few feet of wire to bring in stations at a reasonable strength.

Cheers

Aub
Old 29th Sep 2020, 10:16 am   #9
davyrocket2
Pentode

Having looked it's one without a ferrite rod so is it possible to add one? The block of flats is only one floor and there are metal frames above the widows and front door so this could cause interference? I do not mind the dial scale being slightly out if I can get a few more stations. How do I do this please?
Old 29th Sep 2020, 10:40 am   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyrocket2 View Post
Having looked it's one without a ferrite rod so is it possible to add one?
In theory, yes. In practise, complicated, certainly not the job for someone who is not experienced in working on vintage radios at an in depth level. No, just use a length of wire plugged into the AM aerial socket at the back of the set and position it as high as you can and as much as possible, away from possible interference sources such as computers, wall power supplies etc.
Old 29th Sep 2020, 10:47 am   #11
music-centre
Heptode

It would be quite difficult to add a ferrite rod aerial, depends on your experience of working on sets.
Have you got the plug at the back positioned so its using the foil internal aerial for AM as well otherwise it isn't using any aerial.
Or don't use the foil aerial and put a good length of wire in the AM aerial socket, perhaps you could position it outside somewhere?
Steve.
Closed Thread