UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Sep 2020, 1:46 pm   #1
Pilot Mariner
Hexode

Location: Burntwood, Staffordshire, UK or Kabaty in Warsaw Poland.
Default Hacker Mayflower 2

This may be a difficult question, but due to some previous damage (before I obtained this set), I have re-veneered the top of a HM2 using some light oak veneer I had in the garage. Has anyone any thoughts on which colour dye I should use to try and match the rest of the cabinet as the light oak veneer is too light. This is the version with the very high glossy finish so I propose to use polyurethane varnish.

cheers

Last edited by Pilot Mariner; 25th Sep 2020 at 1:53 pm.
Old 25th Sep 2020, 2:48 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Mayflower 2

I would test different dyes on scrap pieces of the veneer you used, until you get a match. Don't say you disposed of all remnants.

John.
Old 25th Sep 2020, 3:00 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

Mark, I have about five tins of old Ronseal 'proper' wood dye that are still perfectly good. We can try a few of them if you like? maybe even mix some. Of course, to get it spot on, first you have to get the dye itself the 'right' colour, then you have to see what it looks like when it's varnished; not a simple thing to achieve.
Old 25th Sep 2020, 3:15 pm   #4
Pilot Mariner
Hexode

Location: Burntwood, Staffordshire, UK or Kabaty in Warsaw Poland.

Thanks John and Steve, that's a good idea I still have a few remnants of veneer remaining.
Can I take you up on your offer Steve, I could prepare some scrap remnants and drop by when you're in? I also have some proper spirit based Colron tins but they are all too dark.

Mark

Last edited by Pilot Mariner; 25th Sep 2020 at 3:25 pm.
Closed Thread