UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2020, 3:18 pm   #1
longneck90
Hexode

Default Cossor Model 30. (battery)

Hello to everyone. I have experimented on this Cossor 30, hoping to provide it with a mains power supply. I am about at the end of my tether with it, and I was hoping a Forum Member, or member's might be able to provide me with some advice as to whether such a thing (provide with power supply minus batteries) was/is possible, or, I am just wasting my time. With a hand wound transformer, and a seperate 9 volts from a independent source, I have actually got it going, but... a constant hum, which I have been unable to eliminate, drowns out the reception. Unfortunately, I don't have a valve tester. What makes this power supply complicated, is, there are 5 different voltages. 2, 4.5, 9, 50, and 120 volts. Any advice will be greatly appreciated and valued. All the Best. John.
Old 27th Sep 2020, 3:27 pm   #2
deswradio
Tetrode

Default Re: Cossor Model 30. (battery)

Sounds as though your mains power supply is lacking smoothing - the radio is presumably expecting clean DC. How are you generating all those different power rails? Sunds like a fun project! Best wishes - Des
Old 27th Sep 2020, 3:44 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Bear in mind that the LT supply is just as liable to produce hum as the HT. It's not really worth bothering with GB as the batteries are practically everlasting.
Old 27th Sep 2020, 3:44 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

Hi John

First thing is that the 2V filament supply needs to be impeccably smooth DC.

The valves are directly heated as you probably gathered.

The grid bias again needs to be super smooth TBH I tend to use batteries for the GB they will last virtually a decade (unless they are duracell )

It's not quite as fussy on the HT side a decent Cap resistor Cap is usually OK and the 50V supply can just be tapped down from the HT with another resistor and capacitor.

Have you tried batteries on each supply in turn to see which is causing the grief?

It doesn't sound like valve trouble.

Crossed with Des and Bill

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 27th Sep 2020 at 3:46 pm. Reason: crossed with Des and Bill
Old 27th Sep 2020, 4:52 pm   #5
Techman
Dekatron

I agree - power supply, not valves.
Old 27th Sep 2020, 6:21 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

You need a very smooth LT supply. I used an LM317 regulator adjusted to give exactly 2V, bridge rectifier (from a 6V supply) and a 3300uF smoothing cap. Pretty much hum-free.

Here's the circuit I used to supply my Bush BA91...2V LT and 120V HT, the latter supplied by a voltage doubler.

The four series diodes across the 2V supply are simply to provide protection if the LM317 goes short.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery valve PSU.pdf (20.9 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Sideband; 27th Sep 2020 at 6:32 pm.
Old 28th Sep 2020, 1:43 pm   #7
longneck90
Hexode

Hello to all. Thanks to everyone for the advice and information. I forgot to mention that 3 seperate voltages were taken from transformer, to 3 W10's to provide voltages (VDC) of Approx. 120,50, and 9 volts. Another winding from transformer provided 2 volts for heaters. It is only after your combined information, that I now realise that the heater voltage must not be AC, which is the voltage I was using. To Sideband. I have used that circuit in other 'battery' radio's. In fact, the radio I am presently listening to, is working happily for long periods with that battery eliminator circuit. Because of the many dillerent voltages needed for the Cossor, I didn't think I would be able to use it with it.
Thanks again for all the useful information which will greatly help me to decide whether to continue with this project. All the best. John.
Closed Thread