UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2015, 10:33 pm   #41
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: What is this PC connector called?

I stand corrected! Of course the three LEDs are all on the adaptor. Tomorrow I'll try disconnecting the original HDD, and plugging the other one in, set to 'master'. Unless it states in the Computer's manual, I don't know what make the original is, but can check that at the same time.
Old 27th Jan 2015, 10:34 pm   #42
KeithsTV
Nonode

I've just tried the PCI SATA board but it looks as if it's a Raid board and didn't see the SATA drive I connected to it on the PC. So there goes another idea.

Keith
Old 28th Jan 2015, 1:37 am   #43
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

A silly thought, but have you connected power (Molex connectors) to the adaptor AND to the hard disk? It won't work otherwise.

Michael
Old 28th Jan 2015, 6:31 am   #44
Roberto41240972
Retired Dormant Member

Hi folks can I drop in a tip a PC over 10 years old will not recognize a hard drive bigger than 250gb unless the Compaq has a up-to date BIOS. I worked on PC's in the past. When they get to a certain age it gets to the point you cannot upgrade it any further

Hope this helps.
Old 28th Jan 2015, 9:45 am   #45
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnaby View Post
A silly thought, but have you connected power (Molex connectors) to the adaptor AND to the hard disk? It won't work otherwise.
The molex power connector is plugged into the adaptor, through which connections are made to the HDD, Michael, so, barring a fault in either the adaptor or HDD, it is being powered.
Old 28th Jan 2015, 9:46 am   #46
KeithsTV
Nonode

Livewire

I've sent you a PM

Keith
Old 28th Jan 2015, 9:50 am   #47
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto41240972 View Post
Hi folks can i drop in a tip a PC over 10 years old will not recognize a hard drive bigger than 250gb..... unless the Compaq has a up-to date bios..... I worked on PC's in the past. when they get to a certain age it gets to the point you cannot upgrade it any further
This Presario PC, which is about 11 years old, Roberto, has a built-in 80GB HD, whilst the one I'm trying to access is also 80GB, so, together, the two should be well within the machine's capabilities at 160GB total, but I may try, as previously suggested, disconnecting the original HD, and trying the 'new' one on it's own.
Old 28th Jan 2015, 9:54 am   #48
vidjoman
Dekatron

As this is going on and on - I reread the posts and looked at the product on the Maplin site. Vague description - almost useless to say if it would work. However in the reviews there is a comment by a purchaser - " the device was not actually defective ... it does work under BIOS/DOS (but not under Windows 98SE, Windows XP SP3 or Acronis True Image)"
Looks as though it won't work on your PC no matter what our helpful contributors suggest as you have an old version of Windows that's not supported by that device.
Old 28th Jan 2015, 10:11 am   #49
yesnaby
Octode

Hi,

Just to check, for the HDD you wish to read, are there two connections to it? The drive must have data and power cables connected to it.

PS If no joy you could get a refund from Maplin. There are lots of PCI/SATA interface cards that should work, e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-PORT-SAT...item3f43213a6a

Michael

Last edited by yesnaby; 28th Jan 2015 at 10:27 am.
Old 28th Jan 2015, 10:28 am   #50
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I actually e-mailed, via their website, a question to Maplin, about this adaptor, but, up to now, they haven't replied. However, I presumed, since, on the package, it states 'SATA 15pin + 7Pin to IDE 40Pin + Molex 4Pin', that it was a straightforward 'plug & play' adaptor compatible with any PC having, as this one does, IDE & Molex connectors, since all neccesary connections are (Should be) made through the adaptor, which, in effect, converts a SATA equipped drive to an IDE one. Seems it's not that simple!! On the package it staes ' With Menu Paper, but there was no other document in the pack. Incidentally, I've just looked at product N64HQ again on Maplin's website, and all it states is that the adaptor will connect a SATA Drive to an IDE equipped PC, etc. There is no mention of (In)compatibility with any version of Windows

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 28th Jan 2015 at 10:37 am.
Old 28th Jan 2015, 10:41 am   #51
yesnaby
Octode

Hi,

But you still haven't told us how many cables are plugged into the HDD - one or two? Sorry to labour the point, only trying to help. This is a saga indeed!

Michael
Old 28th Jan 2015, 11:22 am   #52
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

There are no cables, as such, plugged into the HDD. THe Maplin adaptor (N64HQ) is a 'black box', with 15 & 7 pin SATA and Molex connectors which plugs onto the back of the HDD, then the IDE and Molex connectors from the PC plug into the relevant connectors on the other side of the box. Maybe I'll photograph the assembly connected up & post the picture on this thread.
Old 28th Jan 2015, 12:05 pm   #53
yesnaby
Octode

Hi,

Sorry, I understand (at last!).

I think the only reasonable explanation is that the adaptor is incompatible in some way (unless the HDD is faulty).

Is the HDD spinning up? Can you hear anything when it is connected?

Michael
Old 28th Jan 2015, 12:32 pm   #54
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I've uplugged the HDD from the Maplin Adaptor and plugged int Molex connector direcly, and checked with my DMM that it is being supplied with +5 & +12v. The HDD disk is definitely spinning up, but, of course without the IDE-SATA ribbon cable connected, it won't be recognised by the PC. I don't know the detailed pinouts of the two SATA connectors, but assume that the DC supplies are routed through them, because, with the Maplin SATA/IDE converter plugged in, there is no way to plug the Molex plug directly into the HDD.
Old 28th Jan 2015, 12:41 pm   #55
KeithsTV
Nonode

When the hard drive is spinning, listen closely if you can hear clicking or similar sound instead of a steady "hum" the drive is probably damaged. Do you have any information on the history of the drive?

Keith
Old 28th Jan 2015, 1:04 pm   #56
yesnaby
Octode

Hi,

Does the drive spin up when connected via the adaptor?

Michael
Old 30th Jan 2015, 12:25 am   #57
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Keith, I don't know the history of the drive, other than it was removed from a scrap tower because there is data on it which is needed. Michael, yes the drive does spin up without any odd noises, However it has caused all sorts of problems which basically meant that my PC wouldn't boot up, and the recovery programs wouldn't work, even with the added drive removed, but the Maplin Adaptor still plugged on to an IDE connector, with the adaptor set as the 'master'. About an hour ago, I removed the adaptor, and my PC now works OK. I had at one point disconnected the +12v +5v Molex plug from the internal (original)HDD to no avail, but now this PC is working normally again, I'm reluctant to try connecting the other HDD again!
Old 30th Jan 2015, 12:44 am   #58
yesnaby
Octode

Hi,

Oh dear! I would definitely ditch the Maplin adaptor. If in the course of time you are feeling brave enough, perhaps try a PCI card with SATA ports - can't see how that could cause a crash (though you never know ...).

Michael
Old 30th Jan 2015, 8:42 am   #59
KeithsTV
Nonode

I think the best way is to try to find someone with a more modern PC with a spare SATA port, connect the drive and transfer the data.

I'm willing to help but it would mean sending the drive by post /courier up north.

I've just helped out a former work colleague recover some files from a hard drive from his daughters now defunct laptop. Fortunately in that case the drive was OK.

Keith
Old 30th Jan 2015, 9:08 am   #60
julie_m
Dekatron

Give it a try with a live Linux distro before condemning it. System Rescue CD is probably as good as anything (and a useful diagnostic tool anyway). If you get different output from `fdisk -l` with the drive connected and disconnected, that indicates a reasonable chance of recovery.