UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2015, 11:26 pm   #61
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Interfacing a SATA drive to an older PC with only IDE interfaces

I've used those ide to sata adapters many times, in PCs and CCTV video recorders, never had any problem.

You should find there's a link on the board to select master or slave since you can't do it on the actual drive...does yours have that? The SATA drive is effectively seen by the MB as an IDE drive and the adapter works otherwise transparently.
Old 31st Jan 2015, 10:59 am   #62
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The adaptor does have a 'master or slave' selector, changeable by pulling out a small 2-pole plug and reversing it's positon. I've tried it both positions, the problems which shut down my PC happened with the selector in the 'master' position, and with the original HDD still connected to the IDE cable, but unpowered. Since the PC is now working again without the SATA/IDE adaptor connected, I can only assume that this was the cause of the fault, since unplugging the second HDD, but leaving the adaptor connected didn't!
Old 31st Jan 2015, 8:38 pm   #63
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Problem Solved! All down to a poor connection between the SATA/IDE Adaptor and the WD Hard Drive, caused by two plastic stoppers/covers fitted over two screws holding the case of the adaptor together. With the selector on the adaptor set to 'slave' I can now read all the data on the WD HDD, transfer it to CD or memory stick, etc. The other functions of the PC are all working as normal, too!
Old 31st Jan 2015, 9:11 pm   #64
KeithsTV
Nonode

Excellent. Now you've cracked the interface you could use it to add an extra drive to your PC.

Keith
Old 31st Jan 2015, 10:50 pm   #65
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

Really good news. I had a feeling you would get there.

Michael
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 12:06 am   #66
hysteresis
Tetrode

Default Re: What is this connector called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
... What I'm really looking for is a cable with either 2 x 8 pin sockets or 1 x 8 pin plug and 1 x 8 pin socket. I'll check out CPC, CHS, RS, etc., to see if they stock such a thing.
I couldn't see the connector's actual name (as used by eBay sellers) mentioned in this thread. Just for future reference, they are usually sold as "DuPont connectors", e.g. (the housing size in your picture):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-x-New-D...#ht_3870wt_973

The housings/shells are available in single or twin rows - in a range of sizes (number of ways), and the crimp connectors are available in both male and female. Popular sized cables are sold ready made. However, if the required size isn't available, I usually purchase the housings and a ready crimped ribbon cable, like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40pcs-Dupo...#ht_6261wt_975

It's then just a simple matter of pealing off a suitable amount of the ribbon cable, and pushing the connectors into the housings (a lot easier than crimping loads of leads).
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 10:25 am   #67
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Having succesfully connected the WD HDD to the PC, using the Maplin SATA/IDE Converter, I won't now be needing those leads, but, thank you, hysteresis, for those eBay links. The DuPont connectors may be needed another time.
Regarding the SATA/IDE adaptor, it's,as mentioned, all working OK, and I've been able to burn some of the files on the HDD to a CDRW, the only od thing is that now every time I boot up the computer, it goes through the 'Checkdisk' procedure, always checking the added drive 'G', whereas before it very rarely did this. Could it be because the added drive just hanging on the ribbon cable temprorarily? I'll screw it into the spare bay in the tower ASAP, now that I know it works.
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 10:40 pm   #68
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

Some ideas here -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426

Michael
Old 3rd Feb 2015, 11:32 pm   #69
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

'Chkdic' only happens when the added HDD is connected. Could it be that it's caused by the fact that it came from another computer, on which the data it contains was recorded?
Old 4th Feb 2015, 1:34 am   #70
paulsherwin

It's probably something to do with the OS treating the drive as removable media like a pendrive, and not dismounting it properly at shutdown. I'm no longer a Windows expert so can't suggest a solution, though it's unlikely to do any harm if you can live with the startup delay.
Old 4th Feb 2015, 1:44 pm   #71
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

Have you tried hibernating the PC instead of shutting it down?

Michael
Old 8th Feb 2015, 12:19 pm   #72
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Michael, This PC has 'Standby', 'Turn off' and 'Restart' buttons, but no 'Hibernate' feature as such. I could try putting it in Standby mode, I guess. One thing I've confirmed since last posting in this thread, is that the computer only goes to 'chkdisk' mode with the WD SATA drive connected, and it indicates that the problem is to do with Drive Partiton 'G', as I mentioned in post #67. Since 'chkd.sk' & Autochk.exe isn't included in the list of Scheduled Tasks, I cannot, as suggested on the Microsoft support website, delete this function, so I guess I'll either live with the slight delay involved, or remove the added drive when it isn't needed.
Old 8th Feb 2015, 2:00 pm   #73
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Leaving the PC in 'standby' for over an hour, meant that it booted up OK, but this surely doesn't prove anything.. until I switch it fully off, and see what happens next time I boot up!
Old 8th Feb 2015, 2:48 pm   #74
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

I think you have to enable 'hibernate' in Control Panel, otherwise the function does not appear. I have a Windows XP computer where hibernate works fine.

Michael
Old 10th Feb 2015, 7:51 pm   #75
nigelr2000
Heptode

You have to press the shift key when you want to hibernate whilst on the shut down options screen and sleep magically becomes hibernate. As far as stuck in chk dsk loop I used to see this a lot but can't remember the exact operations required to cure it. Luckily Microsoft can https://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426?wa=wsignin1.0
Old 14th Feb 2015, 10:17 am   #76
the apprentice
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
every time I boot up the computer, it goes through the 'Checkdisk' procedure, always checking the added drive 'G'
Assuming you allowed the procedure to complete so that the disk has actually been checked, the way to disable CHKDSK from starting up is using the /x switch on chkntfs command in command prompt. The /x switch will exclude a drive from the default boot-time check.

chkntfs /x G:

then reboot to test.
Closed Thread