UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old Yesterday, 9:16 pm   #181
Boulevardier
Hexode

Default Re: Grundig TK 819 Any Useful Info

OK, fine. I just wondered if, without tape, the end-of-tape switching would come into play and disconnect the motor and the signal. But obviously not if the hubs were turning.

Mike
Boulevardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:45 pm   #182
DMcMahon
Hexode

Good point Mike, I have not yet looked at EOT operation on the TK 819, I assume it has got EOT (it must have). During my said tests the capstan & spools were running.

David
DMcMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:44 pm   #183
DMcMahon
Hexode

Repeated tape head demagnetiser hum test with tape loaded and running, same results as no tape loaded, i.e. loud hum from relevant PB head, e.g. right head for reverse playback.

Note - with/without tape the resultant hum is louder from the right hand head.

Did the same tests with the head connectors removed from the head assembly to see if could induce hum into the cables without the heads being connected, got zero hum, still get hum of course if head wiring touched at the pins of the connectors.

Probably stated it before but only get hum (during the hum induced tests) when Playback AND Track 1 (Forward Play) / Track 2 (Reverse Play) push buttons are selected, which is correct.

Tested EOT by momentarily (and longer when it did not work) grounding out the appropriate EOT sensor post, the right hand one worked reliably for RWD & Reverse Play, switching off the motor and drive and all tape transport push buttons reset with a loud clunk (ones that were selected).

The left hand EOT sensor post did not work at all, so another thing to add to list of things not working.
DMcMahon is offline   Reply With Quote