UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2020, 12:12 pm   #1
mickm3for
Heptode

Default Hallicrafters S38

Hi i have this s38 it now works But the range 1 and 2 aerial coils are burnt they are black and open circuit do i dismantle (not an easy job ) and rewind or use cap coupling to top of tuned circuit , using this it seems rather deaf. What would you do please? Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ae coils.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	199143  

Last edited by mickm3for; 17th Feb 2020 at 12:17 pm.
Old 17th Feb 2020, 1:57 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Hallicrafters S38

Rewinding would of course be best.Wonder what caused the burn up.Just a thought ,could you fit replacements anywhere else?
Old 17th Feb 2020, 2:40 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

If you can find a "full" manual for the receiver, it may include details of the coil inductances, which would make rewinding a bit easier.

As to why they've 'cooked', is it a live-chassis AC/DC receiver? If so, I wonder if it could have been wired with the chassis 'live', then the aerial was earthed and the coils got to pass mains-current?

Quite a few US radios tried to get round the 'live chassis' thing by using a negative-rail bus-bar which was not connected to the chassis except via a small RF-bypass capacitor (1000pF or so) and a parallel receiver (100K?) to act as a static-bleed. If the bus-bar is inadvertently shorted to the chassis, or the RF-bypass capacitor goes short-circuit, it can lead to the antenna-coil being zapped,.
Old 17th Feb 2020, 5:57 pm   #4
g4aaw pete
Heptode

The manual here for the S38B seems to have coil info

http://www.radiosurplus.it/pdf/S-38B.pdf
Old 17th Feb 2020, 6:38 pm   #5
mickm3for
Heptode

Hi this manual is readable as to numbering on coil its the mw and topband coils that are burnt. the cap to chassis is s/c so likley live chassis to ground via the 2 coils as r1 is also crispy/missing. I hope no one was hurt. This seems to have been used in the uk as on the tuning dial is has Home Light AFN and Hilversham marked on dial it is still 110volt in but had a 13a plug fitted. The rx had an oc heater in the rectifier tube the pilot lamp also oc as was the 330ohm across the pilot lamp not forgetting the exploded smoothing block. purchased from that bid site saying "it lights up" yes i bet it did. With the readable manual i am going to remove the coil and rewind Mick

Last edited by mickm3for; 17th Feb 2020 at 6:40 pm. Reason: missed part out
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 3:38 am   #6
FrankB
Heptode

Please keep in mind the Hallicrafters S38 series is also, sadly, prone to silver mica disease and poor insulation on the IFT's.
(Actually, most of the Hallicrafters are prone to this. I had a large collection of them of assorted models and offed the whole pile, as I was tired of repairing the IFT's.)
SMD caps do work good for replacing the silver mica caps in the IFT's.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 2:25 pm   #7
regenfreak
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
Please keep in mind the Hallicrafters S38 series is also, sadly, prone to silver mica disease and poor insulation on the IFT's.
(Actually, most of the Hallicrafters are prone to this. I had a large collection of them of assorted models and offed the whole pile, as I was tired of repairing the IFT's.)
SMD caps do work good for replacing the silver mica caps in the IFT's.
I have been resisting the urge to import the S38 from the USA. The shipping and import taxes cost more than the receiver itself. I purchased a few AA5 and AA6 domestic sets from the USA, luckily the smaller IFs are all free from SMD.Touch wood.

I would not enjoy replacing the caps in IFs either.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 6:20 pm   #8
Dave757
Heptode

Hi,

Yes, you're right about the costs. There's an S38c in the States on eBay at the moment, and the total cost is around £158 to
include import duty and shipping. The current price of the set itself - £54.01!

Not much of a set as I remember, but you might come across one in the
UK cheaply.

Kind regards
Dave
Closed Thread