UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 17th Sep 2019, 10:04 pm   #81
Pinörkel
Triode

Default Re: Telequipment D75 scope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Unfortunately this one is beyond repair. The capacitors leaked in it. The seller did a respectable job of replacing them but the capacitor juice had wicked its way up the transformer leads and the have disintegrated.
That is sad to hear. I did not know electrolytic fluid could dissolve thick copper wires by creeping up the cable. That is more a thing of leaking batteries, according to my experience. And you cannot simply shorten the damaged parts of the leads and use new wires to connect them to the intended places?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Thus if anyone needs any parts, let me know. All parts FOC - just postage cost.
If that D75 is really beyond repair I could make good use of quite some parts, when I finally get to repair my D755. That unit has, among other issues, broken stands at the back, a very damaged V4 front plate, a missing power cord and a messed up power connector plate, a scratched screen acrylic plate and a lot of potentiometers in horrible condition. Not speaking of the issues I have not yet discovered. If you are OK with it, I could put together a list of parts (only those which can be extracted without producing too much work on your side) once I finished repairing my D75.

Speaking of scratches on the screen acrylic plate: Does anyone know a secure and high quality method of removing scratches from these plates. Selectively sanding and polishing scratches often leaves ugly bumps on the surface that cause diffractive distortions. Scratches on the other side are non-transparent and additionally cast nasty shadows on the screen. I am reluctant to sand down and polish the entire plate surface because I could not achieve satisfactory results on a piece of acrylic glass that I experimented with.
Pinörkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 8:22 pm   #82
MotorBikeLes
Octode

The mains lead has been "unobtanium" for 30 years. however, back then I had a few leads which were"wet and green". The HCl out of the PVC coating had been busy dissolving up the copper cores, and as well as looking green, it really did feel wet. Any cable you do get wants checking as it could be one of those early types. The last mains leads i got from TQ/Tek were only available with EU ends on them, and then they were no more.
What I would do was to remove the socket, cut a suitable piece of tufnol, drill it to take a restraint, and terminate that in the same way the socket was terminated.
Les.
MotorBikeLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:23 pm   #83
Pinörkel
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorBikeLes View Post
The mains lead has been "unobtanium" for 30 years. however, back then I had a few leads which were"wet and green". The HCl out of the PVC coating had been busy dissolving up the copper cores, and as well as looking green, it really did feel wet. Any cable you do get wants checking as it could be one of those early types. The last mains leads i got from TQ/Tek were only available with EU ends on them, and then they were no more.
What I would do was to remove the socket, cut a suitable piece of tufnol, drill it to take a restraint, and terminate that in the same way the socket was terminated.
Les.
I have a perfect quality EU (Schuko-Stecker) TQ mains plug for my D75. However, on my defective D755 this cable was missing and the former owner unfortunately drilled a hole in the back plate, put a through hole cable mount in it and then soldered the cable to the connector from the inside. A replacement plug should not be too difficult to make, since it consists only of an injection molded rubber substance around a piece of PCB. I already made a 3D-model of the plug for 3D printing, but I am still experimenting with the best way to integrate the PCB and the required contacts. On the original plug, the contacts are pressed against each other via the tension generated by the rubber material when compressed slightly on insertion of the plug. One way to produce a suitable plug could be to 3D-print the plug in multiple parts which can be put together around a suitable piece of custom cut PCB. Though I am not sure if PLA or ABS is a suitable printing material for insulating against 240V AC. Another way could be to print an injection mold form for the plug in which the cable and the custom PCB must be inserted before filling the form with liquid rubber or silicone. Of course, an original power cable would be much nicer to have.
Pinörkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:04 am   #84
MrBungle
Dekatron

Sorry didn’t get to reply to this before. A friend has taken the D75 off my hands to fix the D83 chassis i gave him so parts are off the menu. However he left the mains cable behind and wasn’t interested in that as the D83 he has is lucky enough an IEC socket. It’s in good condition so if anyone wants it let me know. I will cut the UK plug off it as it is quite frankly knackered however so cable and scope end of the mains lead.

I am super busy at moment so might be a couple of days for a reply.
MrBungle is offline   Reply With Quote