UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 7th Sep 2019, 7:09 pm   #21
John G8MWF
Hexode

Default Re: Burndept BE439 or similar Handheld wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Those photos appear to be the same as the sets I worked on many years ago. I remember that you could easily tune the crystals up to the next channel by mistake if you were too keen with the trim capacitor adjustment. We typically used a crystal calibrated and adjusted for zero beat while transmitting. For receive we used the old 10.7MHz marker and zero beat technique also. I still have a Racal calibrator somewhere. Tx current was checked and mute/deviation etc at the same time. I must have processed hundreds in my time. The cases were a weak point along with screws going missing from the head, and heads becoming loose. Every stub antenna had teeth marks on it for some reason. It's always been the thing with hand portables, chewed antennas.
Alan.
We never saw that side of the business as we were only involved in the manufacturing side of things which was 'repetitive' to say the least.

You will 'have' to send your marker oscillator off to calibration before use - we had to every month!

I certainly wouldn't mind finding some of those lost screws now as all of mine are missing from the set.
They appear to be BA screws but they could also be imperial sizes of some sort as none of the modern metric ones will fit.
It is quiet surprising the cost of those little blighters are nowadays but I suppose it will give me an excuse to look around one of upcoming rallies for them.
John G8MWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2019, 7:20 pm   #22
Biggles
Nonode

That's interesting about the glue you found. Over many years nothing I tried seemed to successfully glue those awkward plastics. I wonder if it is similar to "Airfix glue" which was designed to melt the plastic to bond it. I am no expert on adhesive technology but I suspect there is a specific adhesive for every type of plastic. It's just trying to find the right one that is the problem. I know that a couple of my car repairing mates used a soldering iron to run along cracks in plastic bits on cars. Not sure if this went down well with the H+S people though. One word of warning, don't heat previously super-glued parts with an iron. Some nasty fumes are given off.
Alan.
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2019, 6:36 pm   #23
John G8MWF
Hexode

Making good progress as I just got hold of a 'donor' set which has a head and a good case. The mother board has been modified and is missing a TX Oscillator board.

The set that I now have is a bit of a Frankenstein, all of the parts are from the correct model but most likely from different versions over the years - and yes it does have a yellow TX button!

I hope to power it up shortly and find out what state it is in and with a bit of luck it should still be basically working.

The next part for the 'treasure hunt' is the battery lid for the bottom of the case, then the BA screws followed by the PF1 style batteries themselves.

I have enclosed some pictures of the Frankenstein set and the donor mother board if you wish to take a look - it is really strange for me to have one of these sets in my hands after around 46 years and knowing that there is a small chance that I may have worked on some of the very same parts back then.
John G8MWF is offline   Reply With Quote