UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Old 27th Aug 2019, 1:04 am   #21
arjoll
Nonode

Default Re: Word in file search utility, DOS

Just noticed this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjoll View Post
With a single > you'll overwrite with each run and only ever get the results for the first file.
Of course I actually meant the LAST file!
arjoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2019, 8:20 am   #22
brenellic2000
Octode

Thanks Arjoll,

Ever optimistic (!), I tried again this morning with the computer 'cold' and it is now finding those 'missing' file entries! 'Find' now seems to work as it should.

I can only presume the computer was suffering heat-stroke from our high summer temperature (this may account for the recent Zip drive run time error problems). Weird things, computers!
brenellic2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2019, 11:07 am   #23
Slothie
Pentode

In windows 2000 and later there was a "FINDSTR" command that worked a bit like unixes "grep" command, and could search over multiple files.
According to wikipedia it was in a windows 2000 resource pack as "qgrep" but appeared in other editions as a native command "FINDSTR". I remember using it but not in what versions of DOS it appeared.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Findstr
Slothie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2019, 10:51 am   #24
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothie View Post
In windows 2000 and later there was a "FINDSTR" command that worked a bit like unixes "grep" command, and could search over multiple files.
According to wikipedia it was in a windows 2000 resource pack as "qgrep" but appeared in other editions as a native command "FINDSTR". I remember using it but not in what versions of DOS it appeared.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Findstr
Great fan of Win 2000 (not to be confused with the dire Windows Millenium) .. it was sort of a bridge between the old dos originated op systems and the modern world. A program like NLite could strip any bloat, add things you needed and make it run very fast indeed.

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 31st Aug 2019 at 11:07 am.
cheerfulcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 11:51 am   #25
G8HQP Dave
Dekatron

Many years ago I and my colleagues made heavy use of a version of grep written for RSX-11M on a PDP-11.
G8HQP Dave is offline   Reply With Quote