UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2019, 1:04 am   #21
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Re: Word in file search utility, DOS

Just noticed this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjoll View Post
With a single > you'll overwrite with each run and only ever get the results for the first file.
Of course I actually meant the LAST file!
Old 27th Aug 2019, 8:20 am   #22
brenellic2000
Octode

Thanks Arjoll,

Ever optimistic (!), I tried again this morning with the computer 'cold' and it is now finding those 'missing' file entries! 'Find' now seems to work as it should.

I can only presume the computer was suffering heat-stroke from our high summer temperature (this may account for the recent Zip drive run time error problems). Weird things, computers!
Old 30th Aug 2019, 11:07 am   #23
Slothie
Octode

In windows 2000 and later there was a "FINDSTR" command that worked a bit like unixes "grep" command, and could search over multiple files.
According to wikipedia it was in a windows 2000 resource pack as "qgrep" but appeared in other editions as a native command "FINDSTR". I remember using it but not in what versions of DOS it appeared.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Findstr
Old 31st Aug 2019, 10:51 am   #24
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothie View Post
In windows 2000 and later there was a "FINDSTR" command that worked a bit like unixes "grep" command, and could search over multiple files.
According to wikipedia it was in a windows 2000 resource pack as "qgrep" but appeared in other editions as a native command "FINDSTR". I remember using it but not in what versions of DOS it appeared.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Findstr
Great fan of Win 2000 (not to be confused with the dire Windows Millenium) .. it was sort of a bridge between the old dos originated op systems and the modern world. A program like NLite could strip any bloat, add things you needed and make it run very fast indeed.

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 31st Aug 2019 at 11:07 am.
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 11:51 am   #25
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Many years ago I and my colleagues made heavy use of a version of grep written for RSX-11M on a PDP-11.
Closed Thread