UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Oct 2007, 9:58 pm   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Test Card Circle TV70 DVD

Just got my copy of the Test Card Circle TV70 DVD. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I don't know how it's being marketed because my copy was complimentary for helping on the day. You can see my left arm poised over the vision mixer in the photo on the back cover

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 6th Oct 2007 at 10:09 am. Reason: Thread split
Old 5th Oct 2007, 10:41 pm   #2
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: Test Card Circle TV70 DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
PS: Just got my copy of the Test Card Circle TV70 DVD. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet.
You'll find it a distinctive viewing experience. The interview by Tony Currie with the studio guests is really quite charming. Technically, this definitely looks like "early television" - produced live, without rehearsal and with ancient equipment. This is how it must have been...

Remember I haven't really 'seen' it before. During the actual production I was too much on tenterhooks in case I should miss the director barking his next camera cue.

Anyway, I think this DVD makes a fitting tribute to the old studios. Let's hope that now things will look up there.

Steve
Old 6th Oct 2007, 8:42 am   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
..... During the actual production I was too much on tenterhooks in case I should miss the director barking his next camera cue.....
And I was trying not to cut to a camera that wasn't ready even if the director was telling me to.....

I haven't done vision mixing oe any operational stuff etc for many years and then only in a student TV service. That probably went for most of the crew too. Considering we didn't have any significant rehearsal, technical or otherwise, it's a miracle it went as well as it did. I think the director looked exhausted afterwards - he was the only real professional on the crew and was holding it all together with infinite patience.
Old 6th Oct 2007, 10:10 am   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Split from the Alexandra Palace thread.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 6th Oct 2007, 10:21 am   #5
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

I've been looking forward to this DVD, how exactly do we obtain a copy please?
Old 6th Oct 2007, 10:35 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Details are here.
Old 6th Oct 2007, 11:19 am   #7
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
And I was trying not to cut to a camera that wasn't ready even if the director was telling me to.....
Well, err.. I did try to hold it steady, but when setting up each shot I had to add a positional correction because my viewfinder threw a last-minute horizontal shift wobbly. Sometimes I even had to make subtle corrections while my camera was 'on air', ie. by looking at the transmission monitor!

Yes, this was television-making in the raw. And all the more fun for that.

Congratulations and thanks to Paul Marshall and his team for what they achieved with their equipment.

Steve
Old 6th Oct 2007, 12:38 pm   #8
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
Well, err.. I did try to hold it steady.....
You probably last operated a camera about as long ago as I last did vision mixing. In operational terms we were a bunch of amateurs, albeit not clueless ones. Just be glad is wasn't a 1936 Emitron camera with upside down image in an optical viewfinder with dubious parallax correction.
Old 7th Oct 2007, 9:19 am   #9
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I've got a feeling that I didn't do the vision mixing for the show itself. While I'm pretty sure that it's my hands on the mixer in the photo on the DVD that was probably taken during the rigging when I was using the mixer a lot. My main job during the show was running DVD inserts. I think Richard Harris did the vision mixing.
Old 7th Oct 2007, 10:01 am   #10
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
You probably last operated a camera about as long ago as I last did vision mixing.
Well actually I had never operated a camera before. What I had done was vision mixing (in fact vision & sound together) during the BBC1/2 programme junctions - you may remember me from the old days Jeffrey as a TA, mainly in NC2.

I presume the vision and sound were mixed separately in TV70 as per normal studio practice ?

Steve
Old 7th Oct 2007, 12:08 pm   #11
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Richard Harris did vision (he's really a lighting expert!) and I think David Looser did sound. The sound mixer is in a separate cubicle in the truck.

David's TV history claim to fame is that he designed and built a 405 converter sometime around 1990. It was in use at TV70, alongside at least one Aurora.

Although none of the crew (director excepted) were true professionals all of us had a vague idea of what to do and we were (and still are, I hope) friends. All the sort of people who didn't hang around to be told what to do - we looked around and if a job needed doing we did it.
Closed Thread