UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2018, 1:24 pm   #1
pudwink
Pentode

Default Grundig Satellit 2100

Hi all
I have just came across a Grundig Satellit 2100 radio and does work although i have to mess around pressing the top buttons to change frequency apart from FM which works every time but for some reason the SW turning knob and the small one above it does not move I had a quick look in the back but would need to get in deeper.
does anyone know how to get to the SW tuning or is there a common fault for this and if it is fixable.
Please be gentle I am not an engineer and only brought the radio because I loved the look of it.
Many thanks in advance.
Old 14th Sep 2018, 4:15 pm   #2
John Caswell
Hexode

Default Re: Grundig Satellit 2100

Hi,
If it is the same as my Satellite 2100 I would guess that it is suffering from seized up tuning capacitors due to the grease oxidising. Do not try to force it, it will require dismantling and the areas either heating gently or a spot of IPA placed onto the various bearings to hopefully free them up.
I would suggest, that as you say are not familiar with doing things like this, that you get a knowledgeable person to assist. Depending on where you are based someone in the area may be able to help.

John
Old 14th Sep 2018, 5:26 pm   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

I am not sure about IPA isn't that a water soluble solvent, would it dissolve hardened mineral grease?
I always use heat from a soldering iron on the shaft or housing, be careful if there are any plastics near. Once nice and hot, (enough to cause the wd40 to bubble) spray on plenty of WD40, or you could use white spirit but that evaporates to quickly.
Keep twisting and pushing and pulling the shaft. Once the shaft is free to move, and I mean free, (if you pull it up vertically it should drop back under gravity) then put in some drops of sewing machine oil.

Mike
Old 14th Sep 2018, 6:19 pm   #4
pudwink
Pentode

Hi thanks for the replys to be honest i don't think I am capable to do the work myself so I will probably let it go and pass it on to someone who could do it justice.
Many thanks
Old 14th Sep 2018, 10:38 pm   #5
John Caswell
Hexode

Crackle wrote
"would it dissolve hardened mineral grease?"
Yes

John
Closed Thread