UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2018, 10:38 am   #1
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Ferrograph series 7 Grand Opening

I`ve started a new thread because the other one was more about ferrograph v revox in the end soo ..lol

To say I`m more that a little shocked to find what I have in side here is an understatement , I assumed because it had sat in the shed for 20+ years in the same spot and has stuff piled on it , got a bit damp I would find corrosion , rust critters etc in here , however ..........(see pics)

So I guess we can draw from that that at least the case is a winner for this machine . . It had a few cobwebs , but don`t we all at our age .lol .

I would call that a result , Now to make it work . ..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180827_102854.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	168165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180827_102905.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	168166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180827_102921.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	168167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180827_102916.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	168168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180827_102914.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	168169  

Old 27th Aug 2018, 11:13 am   #2
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Re: Ferrograph series 7 Grand Opening .

Can anyone tell me if this has some kind of safety feature that stops you using it outside of the case ? Now its out nothing is working except for the power light . Could be related to the smoke of course ..lol

Thanks

Last edited by NorfolkDaveUK; 27th Aug 2018 at 11:18 am.
Old 27th Aug 2018, 11:17 am   #3
terry123
Pentode

Have you put all the fuses back in after the cabinet removal? If so you may want to check that they are still intact and have not become detached inside the holder.

Terry
Old 27th Aug 2018, 11:28 am   #4
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

It came out nicely without removing them bud. I checked them though and they are all ok . The last time I played with it , it started smoking just before I turned it off , so I`ll pull the power unit . I would have thought that came from the dirty great wire wound at the top there though. its covered in dust

On a different note , this has some really weird wheels in it . I bought some of the originals to put in it but the ones in it are pale blue and rock hard . Now I though because they are rock hard they were borked , but the worked ok ? you know of these things ?

Last edited by NorfolkDaveUK; 27th Aug 2018 at 11:41 am.
Old 27th Aug 2018, 11:41 am   #5
terry123
Pentode

Hi

sounds like they are some sort of past replacement.

Terry
Old 27th Aug 2018, 11:51 am   #6
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Yeah thats great because they haven`t melted all over the place they have just gone hard . They are 3 times thicker than the originals too . I think i`m going to have to replace them because being rock hard can`t be good for the other parts can it . (see pic)

Terry do you have a schematic showing the voltages ? The one I have (hfe) doesn`t ..ta.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180827_115241.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	168174  
Old 27th Aug 2018, 12:25 pm   #7
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Nevermind Terry i found it , the "tape in switch " needed a good clean . Works treat now , it needs a lot of cleaning but other than that i think its good to go pretty much
Old 27th Aug 2018, 12:29 pm   #8
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Does need a pinch roller if you can PM me a price please Terry .

Cheers
Old 27th Aug 2018, 12:56 pm   #9
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

You know I dont think these were designed to be soft at all . I think these are "goo busting" replacements . I`ve not heard of them at all , but these are definitely plastic and not rubber they are screwed to the brass wheel . The pinch roller is the same ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180827_125216.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	168177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180827_125209.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	168178  
Old 27th Aug 2018, 1:05 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Good result Dave. I don't think mine has been in a shed so I will to take a look when I go North this week, after your positive experience

I'm not clear about you just having a power light when you took it out of the case and then cleaning the "tape in" switch. Did you mean the deck was running but you couldn't record/playback

Dave W
Bexhill
Old 27th Aug 2018, 1:11 pm   #11
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

No it was completely dead apart from the "reset" light . after moving the tensioner arm up and down a few times the light went out with the tensioner up and we were off .

I dont know what to do about those wheels now . I think i`m going to put them back in after I clean up the motor shaft and see how they perform . I can imagine that when it gets hot in there they are going to soften up slightly and might well perform pretty well . we will see.

Once I`ve done that I`m going to re-cap the amps and I`ll let you all know how its going this evening .

Peace !
Old 27th Aug 2018, 1:18 pm   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Oh right Dave. I thought that there must be a "missing link". It's similar to the tension piece on the Akai 4000 isn't it. That only comes into use on one position of the mains switch. Quite a few people used to post about that as it wasn't so obvious if you didn't have the Handbook!

Dave
Old 27th Aug 2018, 2:16 pm   #13
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

I knew it was there bud but it wasn`t working , it was filthy , so was activating when it felt like it ..lol A quick clean with some alcohol brought it into my way of thinking .lol
Old 27th Aug 2018, 4:04 pm   #14
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

So after now playing with it a bit , I need some help . The output is right side only and VERY low . I have re-capped the amps on the power board assy , problem remains the same . Switch crackle is pretty loud though so i think the amps are ok so the signal is getting lost somewhere it seems . Can someone that knows the machine tell me where to trace the signal please . The schematic I have is awful . No VU action at all .

The plastic wheels have GOT to go they make a HELL of a racket , its almost unbearable . Good idea for stopping the goo maybe . terrible for keeping the noise to a minimum .

transport is now working , how much fun is the wind thing ..haha ...

The audio that is playing (albeit really quietly ) sounds really clear and crisp . Just need more of it ! and on both sides !
Old 27th Aug 2018, 5:14 pm   #15
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

OK i got the sequence , replay pre-amp , meter and tone then power amp . .... , there is no meter action at all so I think the issue is right back at the preamp stage so I`ll sort those out first !
Old 27th Aug 2018, 5:19 pm   #16
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Now I've not started on my Ferrograph 722H yet, so I am working from the manual only. The service manual I have (on paper, it was given to me with the machine) has very clear circuit diagrams, but the scanned version I found has them as 4 overlapping sheets which I guess are not clear. Alas I don't have a larger-than-A4 scanner so I can't produce a better version from my manual.

The unit is quite modular. The signal from the replay head goes to the replay amplifer. The output of that goes to a preset level control and monitor switch to the meter/tone control board. Then to the main playback output control to the power amplifiers.

I think I would start by 'scoping the outputs of those 2 modules in each channel and see what the signals look like.
Old 27th Aug 2018, 5:19 pm   #17
chriswood1900
Octode

I have a had the problem with low output a couple of times on Series 7 and traced it to the 1uf electrolytic C506 in the feed to the first transistor VT505, it seems to have insufficient bias to keep it working and fails over time. I usually change it for a non electrolytic and the problem goes away.
Good luck Chris
Old 27th Aug 2018, 5:35 pm   #18
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Now I've not started on my Ferrograph 722H yet, so I am working from the manual only. The service manual I have (on paper, it was given to me with the machine) has very clear circuit diagrams, but the scanned version I found has them as 4 overlapping sheets which I guess are not clear. Alas I don't have a larger-than-A4 scanner so I can't produce a better version from my manual.

The unit is quite modular. The signal from the replay head goes to the replay amplifer. The output of that goes to a preset level control and monitor switch to the meter/tone control board. Then to the main playback output control to the power amplifiers.

I think I would start by 'scoping the outputs of those 2 modules in each channel and see what the signals look like.
Thanks tony , I have a decent half track now so I`ll record a 10 min 10k signal i think . will make the whole thing a lot easier . I`ll get on with it in a bit and let you know how i get on thanks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post
I have a had the problem with low output a couple of times on Series 7 and traced it to the 1uf electrolytic C506 in the feed to the first transistor VT505, it seems to have insufficient bias to keep it working and fails over time. I usually change it for a non electrolytic and the problem goes away.
Good luck Chris
I`ll be re-capping it completely anyway so if that is the issue it`ll certainly be located for sure , the left side has no audio at all though so need to nail that down too . what did you put in place of the electro cap ? film ?
Old 27th Aug 2018, 5:43 pm   #19
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I assume you know that there are 2 versions of the electronics, one has a 'Tape/Normal/Source' switch, the other a 'Tape/Source' switch.

If these are not in the Tape (or Normal if you have it) position then you will get no audio from the tape. Conversely, in the 'Source' (or 'Normal' and record mode I think) you can feed an input signal through the amplifier, bypassing the tape (and the replay pre-amp board). That might be useful for testing.
Old 27th Aug 2018, 6:01 pm   #20
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Yeah thanks tony , I have the "2" position version . The switch is REALLY noisy , so i`m pretty sure the problem is in the early stages , the power amp is amplifying the grot in the switches just fine ..haha . I`ll be cleaning those out first of course just in case that`s the issue but I don`t think so I think its the pre or the eq (tone / meter) boards . Just recording a test signal now and I`ll get to work on it .
Closed Thread