UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2017, 10:38 pm   #1
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default AVO 7 Repair

I picked this up, my first '7', for £3 from the MKARS rally on Sunday. While the meter was dirty and most of the lettering had flaked off, the movement seemed to be fine so it came home with me.

On testing I found this 1951 made meter worked on the 1V DC volts position but not on any higher ranges so I assumed an open circuit resistor above that range. On testing the 10V 4500 Ohm bobbin I found it read in the megohms, clearly that was one culprit. I went through my resistors and paired up couple of resistors for a total of 4493 Ohms, good enough. On soldering these into place everything now worked. All other ranges seemed fine and given a quick test with my AD584 voltage reference the 10V range was quite accurate.

The remaining engraved lettering was picked out, the front panel given a scrub and then the lettering roughly repainted with white acrylic. When dry, a coat of car wax was applied over the lettering. I then used a plastic bank card carefully to scrape all excess paint off. I removed the dial mirror and very carefully cleaned off some mould on inside of the glass with a damp cotton bud. While in there I lubricated the P. Q and R wirewounds with some Vaseline. The front panel was then given a polish with a vinyl care product which will dull down a bit. Lastly the stiff strap was cleaned and given some suppleness back with some leather cream

So another old instrument brought back into use.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3703.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	148577  
Old 28th Aug 2017, 10:54 pm   #2
karesz*
Heptode

Default Re: AVO 7 Repair

Excellent work Andrew, congratulation!

Regards, Karl
Old 29th Aug 2017, 7:29 am   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

That looks wonderful. It even has a pair of matching blanking plugs in the PF sockets. Should be a Success Story! Well done.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 29th Aug 2017, 6:22 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

Nice one. Don't trust that leather strap just yet; pinch it in a few places to check it genuinely has been reanimated!
Old 29th Aug 2017, 8:15 pm   #5
deliverance
Heptode

Excellent looks great
Old 29th Aug 2017, 10:03 pm   #6
Andrewausfa
Octode

Thanks gents. I've tried to unsucessfully repair a couple of AVO 8s in the past both of which ultimately turned out to be faults with the movement so I'm quite pleased to get this one back working. The only remaining fault is that the case gasket was in bits. I'll see if I can get some rubber O ring to replace it.

Phil, I didn't notice the blanking plugs until I saw your message

Regards - Andrew
Old 29th Aug 2017, 10:07 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
Don't trust that leather strap just yet; pinch it in a few places to check it genuinely has been reanimated!
I agree. I was carrying my AVO8/2 yesterday and the strap snapped. It landed on a rug, and seems to be OK. I was a bit worried at first as Ohms wasn't working but it was just the battery had been dislodged.
Old 29th Aug 2017, 10:23 pm   #8
Andrewausfa
Octode

I could use some harness stuff aka Neatsfoot oil on it. And risk a good old moan from the missus from the smell The leather creme/restorer (evidently packed with essential oils for revitalising dry leather) I used works fine, it's not a polish.

There's no dry rot and the strap's about as supple as I am. Hmmmmm....

Andrew
Closed Thread