UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2017, 9:28 pm   #1
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Default Avo 8 mk 5

Hi, sorry if this question has been answered in the past but he goes:-
I have a AVO 8 MK5 which I think has a faulty needle damping problem, it swings +/- of the zero stop taking a while to stop, it seems to show the voltage ranges ok, waiting for the 15volt battery so I can test the resistance ranges.
Now as I understand it there are some printed 'R's that do this job, from memory I think they are R9-R11, I have measured them with my DVM and they seem to be within the resistance ranges specified.
Have I perhaps overlooked anything or can someone point me onto the right path. cheers, Snowy
Old 9th Sep 2017, 6:11 pm   #2
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: Avo 8 mk 5

Avo 8.
The meter is damped by the universal shunt permanently in parallel with the meter, wich is tapped at various positions for the current ranges. A very ingenious arrangement, which quite avoids contact resistance trouble on current ranges, but requires a more sensitive meter. Hence the use of a 37.5ua meter shunted to 50 ua.
If any part of the shunt is open circuit, then the meter will indeed swing wildly. All the voltage ranges will read about 33% high. Current and resistance ranges will be incorrect.
Have you carefully checked the voltage ranges. Any range will do. A single mercury cell will give 1.35v reliably over many years.
Then check that the all the shunt resistors are complete and in series across the meter - R9 to R15, of which R9 and R10 are printed on the Mk5.
wme_bill
Old 9th Sep 2017, 7:24 pm   #3
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Default Re: Avo 8 mk 5

Thanks Bill, I will have another go at it in a couple of days, I am trying to rewire my BMW R100 at the moment. regards, snowy
Closed Thread