UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2017, 9:18 am   #1
jascha
Hexode

Smile Philips UTS003 help please

Hi everyone,

I bought a Philips UTS003 in a carboot sale recently and to me it looks like an analogue meter and it seems to work ( the meter reacts). Whether the meter is calibrated or whether it's working well I am not yet quite sure. I can't seem to find any docs regarding this meter and how to use it. I have always used a digital meter but would like to have an anolgue device too handy. Any help would be much appreciated please. Should it be measuring voltage, current and resistance?
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8159.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	148584  
Old 29th Aug 2017, 11:09 am   #2
camallison
Heptode

Default Re: Philips UTS003 help please

The only reference I can find online is this one:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips...er_uts003.html

Colin
Old 31st Aug 2017, 3:57 pm   #3
Vicboduk
Hexode

Back in the mid 80’s I took part in an electronics service competition at Philips Service in Purley Way, Croydon. One of the things that I won was this very meter.
I don’t ever remember it having any documentation. It is quite straight forward to use, black lead in the COM – terminal,
Red lead in the + terminal for all ranges except for when measuring currents above 0.5 Amp when you would move the Red lead to the 2.5A terminal.
When measuring resistance, DC current or voltage make sure the slide switch is to the right and read the white lettering on the selector dial.
If measuring AC current or voltage slide the switch to the left and use the Red lettering on the selector dial.

Vic
Old 31st Aug 2017, 9:40 pm   #4
WME_bill
Octode

I have no information. But it looks a pretty straightforward analogue design, so it should not be difficult to trace out the circuit. Will be very similar to that used by other makers of single knob multimeters. So look at their circuit.
Not the Avo 8 ,as that is two knob, but TMK500, or Simpson 260 should give you ideas. wme_bill
Closed Thread