UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Sep 2018, 4:18 pm   #1
andrewferguson
Hexode

Default Car 8 Track Player - how to wire

Several years ago I bought a home 8-track player and amplifier off ebay and the seller also included a car 8-track player. It is a Ross KS 88G Stereo 8 Track Player and it was sitting on a shelf until I decided I wanted to try it out. I don't have a car to test it with, but I want to see if it works.

It has four wires coming out of it: red, black, grey and green. Since it is a stereo player, my assumption is the following:

Red - +12V
Black - Ground
Grey - Left or Right Speaker (with the speaker's other wire going to ground)
Green - Left or Right Speaker (with the speaker's other wire going to ground)

I couldn't find any wiring instructions online, but has anyone done this sort of thing before? (I wouldn't want to break it).
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 4:48 pm   #2
nebogipfel
Pentode

Default Re: Car 8 Track Player - how to wire

Sounds right, Just be careful of polarity. Modern stuff tends to be negative earth. Early units were often positive or switchable.
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 4:54 pm   #3
doubleg_uk
Retired Dormant Member

That's correct Andrew. Can't remember which is left or right but you will soon know because the balance control will be the wrong way round. The only other point is the phasing of the speakers, try and get the positive connecton on each speaker to the grey/green leads.

Speakers sometimes are marked with a red dot or + sign to indicate this. If they are car type or boxed speakers, one of the leads may be marked with a tracer colour or a ridge may be present on the insulation.

No damage will result if you get the phasing wrong but the sound will be very hollow. In this case, reverse the connection to one speaker. You may find that the unit won't play as the flat capstan belt may have perished after some years with no use.

Good luck though,

Gus.
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 6:38 pm   #4
andrewferguson
Hexode

Well, I should have looked at the small sticker on the rear more closely. It says: "Voltage: DC12V, Negative Ground". So in this case, should the red be 0V and black be -12V? And if so, where to I connect the negative wire of the speakers (to 0V red or -12V black)?
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 7:13 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

No, it means that the negative side of the power is the same as ground.

In other words, black is ground. Red is +12V (so there is a 12V supply, the -ve of which si connected to the ground wire (black wire).
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 7:33 pm   #6
nebogipfel
Pentode

Be careful of old 8-track cartridges too. Lots online about re-foaming them to improve playback and prevent tangles.
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 8:22 pm   #7
andrewferguson
Hexode

Yes, I have quite a few cartridges that need a bit of TLC before I am happy to use them again.

I also don't suppose anyone knows the name of the 4-pin connector that this old stereo uses? It is 4 pins laid out in a square (2 on top, 2 below) and the pins are flat. I can post a picture if needed. (It would save me from cutting off the connector).
Closed Thread